Chapter 26

26. A Roll in the Sand

It was going to be the classiest catfight of the century: a volleyball showdown of death. Krislynn gripped the ball in her hands and dug her fingers into the white sphere with determination. For an instant, her gaze met LaCienega’s, and the rest of the world faded into whiteness as the two shared a moment of understanding – this was war – and one of them was not going to come out alive at the other end.

Her breath accelerating, her blood rushing, her heartbeat racing, and her skin slowly perspiring under the Californian sun, Krislynn threw the ball high in the air and spiked it over the net in LaCienega’s direction. This wasn’t just about being attacked by her anymore. This was about Jace. Damn that lucky freaking girl for having him! She was definitely going to get an ugly taste of her own medicine!

Except... life rarely works out the way you want it to and instead of standing over LaCienega’s body with her foot pushing her face into the sand, Krislynn only suffered more injuries from an enraged LaCienega. As much as she hated to admit it, LaCienega moved like an angel even during rough play. Every movement of her body was graceful, her face filled with delicate elegance, and the entirety of her anger channelled completely through the path of the ball. The only thing that would ever give her away was the small bit of emotion in her eyes – set out to destroy.

Dropping to the ground for the second time, Krislynn pounded her fists into the warm sand as she felt both frustration and the pain of the last strike, a direct hit to the stomach, charging up to her nerve endings and making her feel nauseous and dizzy all over. “Why is life so unfair?!” She whimpered as Michelle dashed over to hush her.

“I don’t think you should be worried about it being fair at the moment,” she muttered as she knelt down beside her and frowned. Her eyebrows creased in concern before she waved to Seth in the distance with her hands in a ‘come here’ gesture. “You should take a break,” she whispered. “Make sure your organs aren’t bleeding.”

Krislynn looked up, about to protest. She wasn’t satisfied! She was used to her own fiery, short-fused temper causing all sorts of problems, but it always worked miracles during competitions. If she couldn’t skate before she was angry, she could skate after. If she couldn’t jump that high before, she could jump inhumanly high after. Her anger worked like a rocket booster, but no matter what she did, it seemed like LaCienega was just slightly out of reach.

“Are you okay?” Jace shouted from across the net as Seth and Pete quickly jogged over. “Maybe you should take a break for now.”

In the end, despite multiple objections, Krislynn was sent off court and found herself wandering back to Chase while Michelle stayed to cheer for Seth and Pete in a new match. She passed through the crowds of people scattered around the beach and found Chase sitting on a lounge chair where Michelle and the others must have previously set up their stuff.

Chase of course, during the four minutes that Seth and Pete had left him alone, had already found a new friend, and she was blatantly giggling with him as she sat on top of his lap in the skimpiest yellow bikini. Krislynn’s jaw dropped at the sight. There she was getting beaten up by LaCienega and here he was whoring himself out when he, as her boyfriend, should have came to her rescue. How utterly typical of him!