Chapter 10

10. Glue Guns

“Why are you being so mean to me,” Krislynn grumbled as Chase plopped down on the bed inside her room. She had sent the hotel staff on his way a moment ago, stating that she’ll go and fix the problem down at the front desk as soon as she had a free minute, but that of course was only an excuse. She didn't have a penny on her to pay her debt and she was screwed, screwed, screwed!

“It’s not that I’m being mean to you.” Chase’s eyes glanced around the room she had been occupying for the last week; it smelled nice and had a cozy feeling that was probably extinct to all of L.A. “It’s just... helping people... that’s not really my thing.”

“I don’t care if it’s your thing or not,” she snapped. “Can’t you just help me out for the heck of it? I mean it’s not like I’m a complete stranger. I’m a girl you just happened to stay up the entire night chatting with until 5am.”

“Look,” he said sternly, his gaze focused on her face. “I’ve spent a lot of my nights up until 5am with strange girls and the last thing we do is chat so all things considering... you’re actually pretty down the ladder.”

Krislynn groaned and sat down beside him. She mused through all her possible choices, but in the end came right back to Chase. “Oh come on! It’s only a hundred bucks,” she begged, sounding a bit more desperate than before. “Just pretend like you’re doing it for a good cause.”

“It’s not just a hundred bucks,” he reasoned. “Do you know why I hate helping people out? It's because you help them out once and they’ll keep coming back to you and asking you for things until the day you die. That's annoying.”

“But I won’t,” she retorted. “Chances are you’ll probably never see me again after this. So, like, do this one thing for me. Please?”

“Okay fine,” he said and quickly whipped out his wallet and handed her two fifty’s. “Now let me ask you something. What are you going to do after this? How many days left in the resort do you have till they kick you out? And if they do kick you out, where are you going to go? Back to Canada?”

Krislynn cringed at all the questions Chase was suddenly throwing at her. She was never one to do well under pressure so she stuttered a little as she replied. “Well I pre-authorized exactly one week on my Visa and it had magically gone through,” she muttered while nervously twiddling a strand of her hair. “So that includes tomorrow. After that, since my Visa bounced, I’m out of here.”

“As for what I’m going to do,” she stuck her lips out in a small pout and tried to think on the spot, but his silver colored eyes were to say the least, extremely distracting. “Well, I guess staying here is futile since Ella isn’t here, so I guess I should head back to Canada---though it’s not like I’ve really got a place to stay there.”

“And how are you going to get back to Canada?” Chase calmly asked with one cynically raised eyebrow. “Swim?”

“No silly! I’m going to...” Krislynn’s words trailed off as she suddenly realized the trap Chase had set up for her to step in. She had no money---no way of going anywhere or doing anything. She was stranded in Mexico. “Shit.”