Chapter 23

23. Nightmares & Thunderstorms

“I don’t want to be alone.” Lightning flashed behind Chase and for a brief moment, illuminated Krislynn’s face as well as the open area of the room before blinding them in darkness once more. His eyes slowly adjusted and saw her looking up at him almost shyly through her eyelashes. “I just want to sleep beside you for the night,” she murmured, her voice shaky, wobbly – scared. “Can I?”

Chase couldn’t figure out if he was disappointed or relieved, but his muscles relaxed as the sound of the thunder finally caught up and roared against the rain. Krislynn jumped at the sharp boom and for a split second, he saw the look of utter fright in her eyes – like a deer caught in headlights – before her face disappeared behind the pillow.

She was scared of thunder.

He almost laughed at the thought. It wasn’t so long ago that she was poking fun of him for having a phobia of worm-like objects and bragging about having no fears herself. Who knew the fearless Krislynn Reimer was actually scared of something as childish as thunder?

His whole body twitched with anticipation. This was his chance to get back at her! He could tease her and nag her and bug her about her little fear until her face blew up like a fat tomato. It would be priceless. He could do it. He could totally do it – but he didn’t.

Instead, he found himself taking a couple steps back and barely recognized his own voice when he said, “Come in,” and widened the door for her. The pillow inched down just far enough for her eyes to gaze out and from their expression, she too, was shocked by his sudden gentleness.

“Really?” She whispered. “Are you sure?”

Chase closed his eyes and nodded in slight agitation. “Before I change my mind.”

At once she scurried in, but then halted in front of his king-sized bed as he closed the door behind them. Her head cocked to the side as if debating a decision worth the weight of the world before spinning around to face him. “Um... Should I sleep on the left side or the right side of the bed?”

Chase stared at her thoughtlessly and offered only a shrug. Her eyebrows creased together and he shrugged once more before running a hand through his hair. “Does it matter?” He asked. “Which side do you usually like to sleep on?”

Krislynn dropped his gaze and fiddled with a corner of her pillow. “I like to sleep in the middle,” she said.

His voice grew deep. “Then sleep in the middle,” he said.

She hesitated, eyes fixed on him as her teeth softly rubbed against her lower lip. Then, as if deciding it would be harmless to do so – that he was harmless – climbed in bed. Chase made his way over and sat down on the edge of the right side. The hair on his back raised and he could feel her eyes on him as he slipped under the covers.

He shouldn’t have felt nervous. After all, this was hardly the first time he shared a bed with her. The first was in Mexico and he couldn’t have cared less about her presence that night. The second was at the hotel and the both of them had been far too intoxicated among other things to pay mind to discomfiture, but this time – sober – Chase’s body knew embarrassment.