Chapter 53

*It's sorta how I picture Katie on the side btw*

53. Taste The Rainbow

            While Adam swept Krislynn away to introduce her to Isla’s husband Isaac, Chase took the opportunity to apologize to his mom. Nothing could explain the weight on his chest as he approached her back at the kitchen sink, but the moment he apologized and his mother gave him a hug, relief was carried all over him. “Not matter what your beginning, you’re my son. I’ve said that and I’ll always say it Chase.”

            Chase nodded as he rubbed his palms over his mother’s back. She still smelled the same as she always did – even so far back to his memories of his childhood – and that gave him a bit of nostalgia. “I know mom. I know.”

            Lenora pulled away from their embrace, but only to give enough space in between their bodies to cup her son’s cheeks in her hands. “I can never give you your biological parents back, but I… I’ve tried very hard to…” Tears welled in her eyes and almost instantly slipped down her cheeks. “I’ve tried very hard to give you a family. I’m sorry it hasn’t been what you wanted.”

            The tears just wouldn’t stop rolling out after and Chase pulled his mother back into his arms. “That’s not true mom,” he murmured. “It’s been great. You’ve been great.” And because he wasn’t sure what else to say or do after, Chase just held her in his arms and rubbed her back. Rub. Rub. Rub.

            When she was finished crying, she dried her cheeks on the back of her hands and then wiped them on her polka dotted apron. “Well now,” she said, offering him an uplifting smile. “Where’s Krislynn? I want her to try my cookie dough before I put it in the oven.”

            Chase smirked. “Yeah, okay. I’ll go get her. She’ll love that.” Flashing his mom one more killer smile, he started out of the kitchen feeling invigorated. Even though he could hardly call his circumstance resolved, there wasn’t much he could do about it; it was an incomprehensible feeling rooted deep inside his heart. The one thing he did want to do of course, was the real reason he had stopped contact with his family for so long. He had wanted to tell Krislynn about it previously when they were out talking on the deck, but had decided against it last minute due to extreme embarrassment. If he told her, Krislynn would only laugh at him. Chase was sure of it.

            It wasn’t something she needed to be aware of anyways. It had nothing to do with her.

            Moving out into the living room, he couldn’t seem to find Krislynn anywhere, or Adam or Isaac or even Isla or Amy for the matter. The kids were there though. Ronnie and Glen were playing cards across from each other at the coffee table and little Katie was playing with some letter blocks and Barbie dolls.

            Chase made a face when he saw the young child playing happily by herself. The last time he saw her, she was only several months and now she was so big compared to over three years ago. She must be close to four if not four yet, he figured, but didn’t pay much attention to her after that brief thought.

            Instead, he leaned against the archway of the living room and nodded towards the boys. “Hey,” he shouted. No reply. “Hey! Hey, I’m talking to you. Ronnie. Glen.”