Chapter 30

30. Promises

Chase’s head was completely vacant as he watched Krislynn slam the bathroom door behind her after she pushed him inside. Stumbling a little, he managed his way over to the rim of the bathtub and cautiously took a seat. “Why did you push me in here?” He asked in exasperation, taking a quick look around the painstakingly white room.

Krislynn turned around, but her face still wore the same unresponsive facial expression she had when he first saw her at the doorway of the kitchen. Quietly, she started to make her way toward him, but each step she took almost seemed to last an eternity and Chase noted it was probably the alcohol in his body playing a trick versus the real thing.

Wariness rapidly settled over him as he felt his head ringing and closed his eyes to reduce the amount of outside stimuli. “Well,” he pressed, “why did you bring me here?” Again, Krislynn met his question with silence, but this time he heard the faucet turning and the sound of running water.

He should have been able to guess, but his reaction rate was extensively impaired and he didn’t realize what she was thinking until a burst of ice cold water shot him in the face. Instantly Chase let out a cry of alarm as both his eyelids popped open, but they only stayed open for a second before he squeezed them shut and Chase fell backwards into the tub. “What the hell Reimer?! Why are you bla- bah- blak- bugh- bffff-”

Chase quickly pulled his arms close and covered his face as he spat out the water Krislynn had just sprayed into his mouth. The upper half of his body was drenched entirely and he growled furiously as he flailed his legs which were hung over the edge of the tub. “What the hell is wrong with you?!” He screamed, but could only hear the soft humming of running water as she played with the showerhead in her hands, twitching the little mechanism on the side until she found the jet mode and started abusing him with it.

Already the icy water was difficult to handle, but on the jet mode, it became a cruel whip of hot water instead, generously leaving behind a frostbite everywhere it struck. One hand covering his face, Chase withdrew his legs into the tub and got down on his knees as he searched with his other hand for the faucet. When he felt the metallic coolness of the metal against his palm, Chase grabbed it and turned it off before wiping the water from his face.

“Are you out of your fucking mind?!” His gray eyes pierced her with absolute fury before he pushed back the wet ends of his hair. “What are you – freakin’ crazy?! Why in the world would you do that?!”

Krislynn arched in eyebrow and stared at him with half-amusement. “That’s funny,” she said dryly. “That was exactly how I felt when I saw you guys in the kitchen.”

Her remark took Chase by complete surprise and his face gradually softened as his anger subsided. “How much of it did you see?” He asked, studying her face carefully.

Krislynn shrugged. “I saw enough,” she said. “How are you feeling? Is your head clearer now?”

Chase frowned as she spoke. He didn’t like this side of her. When she had locked him inside the washroom he had expected something – that was for sure. He had contemplated a lecture, an argument, some sort of physical violence and a lot of loud name calling, but the situation turned out a lot different than the one he had imagined. Besides spraying him down with icy water, which could be counted as a violent act, Krislynn really wasn’t acting... well... like Krislynn.