Chapter 37

37. The Love Story

After being humiliated by Krislynn, Andrea stomped off the set in a huff with her manager trailing pathetically behind her. It was a rather expected princess tantrum move, but it still brought Chase a lot of anxiety having just lost his lead actress. “Great. We haven’t even started shooting and I’ve already lost an actor. I hope you two are fucking happy.” He trudged away after, shouting orders for the stage crew to change the props so he could shoot other scenes, leaving Krislynn standing angrily beside Pete.

“He says it like it’s my fault!” She crossed her arms in front of her before venting off to him. “Does he hear half the things that girl says to people? She treats everyone like dogs! I can’t just stand there when she’s acting like she owns everyone!”

“Right. Right.” Pete gave the top of her head a brotherly pat before moving on. “Chase is just frustrated because he’s extremely passionate about what he does and even more so because he penned the script this time. He’s already got a headache from his sponsors ‘recommending’ Troy as the lead when he’s obviously not an actor. Throw in Andrea?” He shook his head sympathetically. “Give him a break for not being the most sensitive person on earth right now.”

“I heard you were the one that gave Andrea the role so aren’t his troubles partially stemmed from you?” Krislynn raised her eyebrows at him which only earned her a laugh from Pete.

“Let’s talk about something else,” he chuckled.

Krislynn rolled her eyes before heaving a sigh. “So he wrote the screenplay this time?” Her heart softened as she watched Chase instruct his crew on how the next scene should be set. It was weird watching him so focused and serious about something, yet at the same time, it was rather attractive. “So, what’s the movie about then?”

“It’s an action romance, I think.”

“Romance?” Her voice was cynical as she looked to make sure Pete wasn’t joking. “Chase writes romance?”

“Well, it’s mostly action and there’re a lot of fight scenes, but the storyline has a love story as its premise.” He laughed. “What? Does it seem out of character for him to write romance?”

“Well no...” Krislynn made a face. “Okay, yes! A lot! I mean, isn’t he a manwhore? Doesn’t he have commitment issues? How can he write romance? Isn’t someone like him more suited to staging a porno?”

Pete grinned as he pulled out a rolled up paper script from his back pocket Krislynn had no idea was there. “Interested in reading the manuscript?” He waved the screenplay in her face until she swiped it out of his hands. “There’s no telling if Andrea is coming back so you’ll have to stay around just in case she comes around, but since you pretty much have nothing to do, check that out.”

He gave her another smile before he left to speak to one of the cameraman and Krislynn was left with the manuscript in her hands. Carefully, she unrolled it and trailed a finger around the cursives of the movie’s title, Fade to Black. She shivered. It sounded more like a thriller than anything else.

Sighing, she rolled the manuscript up again before heading back to where Baby and Number 4 were standing by the refreshment table. “Some morning!” He rolled his eyes. “You told me you were sleeping with Chase. I didn’t know you’ve upgraded your status!”