Chapter 22

22. At the Stroke of Midnight

On Friday, Krislynn finally worked her end of the deal and cleaned Chase’s house while he was busy at work. Although his house was gigantic to say the least and it took every bit of effort to scrub it down, she had it sparkling by the time he was home at five with dinner fully prepared. She jumped him the minute he walked through the door and quickly slipped a blindfold over his eyes before he could do anything else.

“What the–”

“I know what you want to eat,” she cooed into his ear.

Dirty thoughts ran rampant in every corner of his mind until his entire body was rigid and stiff. “Oh really?” He murmured, feeling just a tiny bit uncomfortable where this might lead him.

“Want to know how I found out?” She bubbled, almost to an unbelievable amount of innocence. Her hands gently massaged his shoulders as she pushed him inside the house, guiding him wherever she saw fit as he mindlessly followed her directions. “Why are you so hard?”

Her finger touched a muscle beneath his shoulder blade and Chase instantly shuddered in response. “Why don’t you stop massaging me,” he muttered. “It’s only making me harder.”

“Really? That’s weird. Don’t massages usually–”

He interrupted her with an awkward cough before changing the subject. “Where are you leading me anyways?”

Krislynn laughed. “Just hang tight. We’re almost there.” She stopped him abruptly and a second later, he made out the faint sound of the patio door sliding open before he felt her hands behind him once more. “Alright, now take one big step forward and then you can take the blindfold off.”

When Chase stepped through and took his blindfold off, he smirked at the sight in front of him. Krislynn had set up dinner outside – which he had figured as much when he heard the patio door being opened, but what he hadn’t guessed was the large and rather extravagant display of food. “Wow. You went all out tonight, didn’t you?” His brief smile slipped off his face as he spun around to face her. “Okay. What do you want?”

She wrinkled her nose at him, which he found undeniably adorable, before she crossed her arms in front of her in defence. “I don’t want anything from you. Why would you say something like that?”

“Because you’re being nice to me all of a sudden,” he reasoned. “When women who have a tendency to kick you in the balls magically start being nice to you, they want something. It’s basic female 101.”

Krislynn scowled at him before moving past him and taking a seat across the table. “I’ve only ever fantasised about kicking you in the balls,” she countered, “I haven’t done it yet!” She looked up at him innocently, but saw the cynical expression he was giving her and decided to throw in the white flag. “Okay! Okay! So I maybe broke my phone today.”

Chase sighed before sitting down on his chair. “And you want a new one.”