Chapter 16

16. The Rich & The Famous

Chase might as well have been a sack of potatoes instead of a human being because he barely stirred at the breakfast table. Her brain filling with curiosity, Krislynn watched him intently during one of the odd occasions that he actually moved---when he brought his mug of coffee up to his lips.

“Oh come on,” she moaned after swallowing down the rest of her toast. “I know you’re at the height of your grumpiness in the morning, but don’t act like you’re a vegetable. Say something.”

His eyes regarded her with bland interest, but either way, he decided to speak. “I didn’t sleep until six this morning,” he growled in a low hiss. “I’ve been up for almost an hour and it’s still only ten. Why did you wake me up?”

Krislynn’s mind flashed back a few hours to review their scenario. She had woken up bright and early that morning and after showering and getting ready, made breakfast downstairs in the kitchen. Maybe it was the fact that she grew up parentless and spent most of her time alone, but when she had company, whether she enjoyed it or not, she really treasured it.

So having decided she didn’t want to have breakfast by herself, she had infiltrated Chase’s room, pounced on his king sized bed and shook him until he did her bidding. His hair was a mess and his body dressed in nothing more than a pair of plaid boxers, but at least he was sitting properly in his chair and not with his face in his food.

“Why did you sleep so late?” She asked him, deterring the attention from herself. “I mean, you pretty much brought it on yourself. You wouldn’t be feeling like such utter crap if you had slept earlier.”

Chase rested his elbows on the dining table and buried his face in his hands. “I couldn’t sleep last night because I had way too much energy,” he admitted. “Usually, I exploit that in the bedroom, but I haven’t had sex for over three days.”

A playful smile grew on Krislynn’s face before she mustered her most shocked expression for display. “Oh no! My poor baby!” She cooed sarcastically. “Not three whole days! You’re such a trooper. I wouldn’t have lasted even one.”

His eyes narrowed at her for just a second before fixing themselves on his coffee as he fingered the rim of the mug. “I figured the only way I could sleep was to exhaust my body so after you went to bed, I went out and jogged for hours. In a way, it worked. When I got home, took another shower and crawled into bed, I was physically exhausted.”

He looked up at that moment, the gray in his eyes catching the light in the room so that they turned a bottomless blue. “Except I still couldn’t fall asleep,” he shouted angrily, raising a fork and pointing it accusingly at her. “Do you know why?! Because every time I close my eyes---bam---your ass! Right there---with that stinking heart-shaped birthmark!”

Krislynn threw her head back and laughed. “We’re going to have so much fun living together,” she said to him. “Oh that reminds me, I’m going to that charity gala with you tonight. Michelle decided that yesterday, but I forgot to tell you when I got back.”

“Hell no I’d take you! You can tell Michelle to shove it.” The doorbell suddenly rang interrupting his chain of thoughts so that he nodded his head in the direction of the door. “Go get it.”