SIX

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙞𝙭 :
excitable confrontation

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

      EVEN THOUGH (F/N) said she would sleep, she tossed and turned all night at the possibility of the killer breaking in to attack her or anyone else

      EVEN THOUGH (F/N) said she would sleep, she tossed and turned all night at the possibility of the killer breaking in to attack her or anyone else. While the killer making a move on the girls now that the suspect had been locked away was unlikely, she figured she would rather be more safe than sorry.

     Now at breakfast with a tired state of mind and a desire to eat cereal, she found herself keeping the fact that the killer had called her last night to herself. As selfish as it was, she didn't want anyone to doubt her claim of it being Billy—who she still believed it was. After all, why would he be there if he wasn't? He hadn't checked on her in months, why start now?

     Tatum had tried to pry a few times about the events of last night, but Sidney told her to stop. (F/N) was glad that Sidney was there, and seemingly not upset at her. Rather something entirely different.

Sidney was to her right at the table being comforted by Tatum who was patting her on the back as a news channel spoke about Cotton Weary, the man Sidney said raped and killed her mother.

    (F/N) watched with sad eyes as her friend tried to control her emotions. Why is this all happening so close to her mother's death anniversary? It's too much for the poor girl...

     Suddenly Dewey sat down in the chair beside (F/N), giving her a small smile before informing the trio, "Billy was released. His cellular bill was clean, he didn't make those calls."

      (F/N) breathed out a deep breath. But I still don't feel wrong. I don't know why he would be there. But he did say that he was trying to comfort me...Am I just a really bad friend? She felt a bad feeling in her gut but nodded, accepting that she was wrong even though she was mentally beating herself up, "Do they know who did?"

       "We don't." Dewey shook his head, giving the girl an apologetic expression, "We're checking every cellular account in the county. Any calls made to you, or Casey Becker are being cross-referenced. It's gonna take time but we'll find him."

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     Dewey drove the three of them to school, his patrol jeep parking down the road from the busy school. Reporters once again were surrounding the building, hounding students and shoving microphones in their faces for information on their incomplete story.