Chapter Six: Making Progress

Cameron

After I dropped Rebecca off at Dairy Queen, and made sure to not drive away before she did, I went home. It was only about seven o'clock when I arrived, which meant I just made dinner, and still had time to take care of some review packets from school.

"Hey honey," my mom greeted with a smile as I dropped my keys on the kitchen counter in a small basket.

"Hey mom," I replied with a smile as well.

She stopped stirring whatever our dinner was, and crossed her arms. "Well, how'd your date go?" She asked excited.

"Um it went okay I guess," I shrugged.

Her smile turned to a frown. "You guess?" She asked, angry that I wasn't going into more detail. My mom was one of those gossiping kind of girls in her high school years, and just because she is an adult now, she still acts like a teenage girl sometimes. Always getting into other people's business, but she is careful not to seem so obvious about it.

"Yeah," I replied uneasily.

If I bring a girl home, mom goes insane, not only does she spoil the chick to death, but she tries to become their best friend. It's really annoying, especially since I just bring home chicks to sleep with.

"Details Cameron or else you have to take care of both you and your brother's chores for the rest of the week."

She's got to be kidding me.

"Mom I don't really have much to say about it. I mean I bought us milkshakes and we talked-"

"About?" She asked wide eyed.

Women don't get out much; guess it won't hurt to give her a little more detail.

"We played the twenty question game for the most part. We don't really know each other so it was a little rough at first. She's friends with Cody and he thought that I should go for her," I lied.

"Awe, you just gotta love that Cody. He's a great friend to you, and I bet this girl is an amazing person," she smiled as she shut off the stove top and moved the pot over to a cooler spot.

"You say that about every girl I tell you about," I chuckled. Before she had a chance to reply, my younger brother Lucas came sprinting into the room with paint all over him.

"Lucas what did you do?" She asked in shock.

"I was playing with the paint and I wanted to finger paint like I did when I was younger only it didn't work out too well," he explained as he examined the almost dried paint that was all over his hands and arms.

"Stupid," I coughed. My mom turned around and glared at me.

"Since you have something to say Cameron, you can do me a favor and wash him off," she said as she placed her hands on her hips.

No way!

"But mom, I have studying to do for finals," I argued.

She raised a brow, "Are you back talking me young man?" She asked.

Ugh, now she decides to put on her adult face.

"No ma'am," I muttered. "Let's go turd," I grumbled at Lucas as I walked past him to the staircase.

"He called me a turd again!" He blabbed to mom. What a tattle tale.

"Cameron," she frowned.

"Sorry I can't hear you over the sound of Lucas' big mouth," I yelled as I ran up the stairs.