Chapter Thirty-Six: Parent to Child Conversations

Rebecca

The room was filled with the sound of my parent's talking about their jobs and stuff during dinner. This is the first time I've actually sat down and eaten with the two of them for a while. My dad had a warm smile on his face that seemed to grow each time his eyes landed on my mom. There were many times when I thought to join their conversation, but then I changed my mind. He's been here for a few days now, but he's been gone for almost an entire year. I feel like just backing off and letting them have a great time with each other.

"Rebecca honey why are you so quiet?" My mom asked after a few minutes. Their eyes were on me now, and I was at a loss for words.

"Um I was just listening to you guys talk. I like to listen to your beautiful voices," I replied awkwardly.

My mom chuckled, and continued the conversation. "Wasn't there something you wanted to ask me and your father about earlier?" She asked.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot all about that. "Yeah, a few friends of mine invited me to go on a trip with them to Malibu." I informed them. "It's supposed to be about a week long. Cody and Rachel are two of the people going." I added, hoping that would convince them to say yes.

"Who are the other people going?" My dad asked curiously. I stuck a forkful of meat in my mouth to help give me more time to answer. The rest of the people going are guys, and I'm not sure if they'd be okay with that. My mom knows Cameron, Cody, and Rachel, but she doesn't know anything about Patrick, Jack, and Dylan.

"Um Rachel's boyfriend Dylan is going, mom's friend's son Cameron is going, and then two of his guy friends are tagging along." I answered casually. Maybe if I seem relaxed about it, they won't freak out as bad.

"You and Rachel are the only two girls going?" He asked concerned. "Two girls and five guys doesn't seem very even to me."

I just shrugged. "At least we'd be safe. The guys are pretty buff."

My mom nodded in agreement, making my dad think about it. "I do think you'd be safe with Cameron and Cody around. They're very responsible young men, and Cameron's mom would kill him if he let anything bad happen to you." Boy do I love the sound of that. I'd do something to myself just to watch his mom try to kill him.

"I'm okay with you going with them Becca, but I think it's time we had a conversation about you teenagers," my dad sighed. My mom's eyes bulged open, making my throat go dry instantly.

"Oh dad please no." I begged.

"Yep, it has to be done." He replied with a chuckle. "I don't want to hear it anymore than you do, but you're my little girl and it's my job to tell you about these things." He said. It doesn't sound to me like he's having an issue with the topic on hand. "There are allot of girls your age getting pregnant, or getting STDs from the guys you go to school with. I've known some people who have had their kids go through those things, and it's not something I'd like to experience hands on. Having sex is something that shouldn't happen until you're sure you want to be with that person for the rest of your life, which means both of you can wait until you're married." He explained.

My mom was doing everything in her power to resist from laughing. I on the other hand was trying to hold down my dinner. I can't believe this had to happen now of all times. By the time he's done talking about this, I won't even want to look at Cameron again. "And if you happen to get carried away with some guy on the trip, or anywhere else for that matter, at least make sure he has a condom." He continued.

"Dad I think I'm going to puke if you keep talking about this," I muttered as my stomach churned inside of me. My mom erupted in laughter, and decided to occupy herself by clearing the table. Lucky her she just gets to walk away from the conversation, but I have to sit here and take it.