Chapter Twenty-Six: Heart to Heart

Rebecca

I had just switched off my lamp to go to bed, when a loud sound from outside caught my attention. The only reason why I heard it was because I like to sleep with my window open so I can fall asleep listening to all of the night's sounds. When I peeked out of the curtain, I was confused to see Cameron sitting out on one of the porch chairs by the pool. He looked frustrated as hell, but when his mom came outside to join him he just looked sad. "Cameron I don't want anymore attitude from you. Do you hear me?" She snapped at him.

"The door slammed on it's own." He replied annoyed. "And I said I was sorry, I didn't mean what I said."

"Then you shouldn't have said it at all. Do you know how scared I was when that phone started ringing?" She shouted at him. What are they talking about?

He sighed and got up from the chair. "Mom I'm sorry." He pressed. "I was scared too if that makes you feel any better. It was immature of me to have said what I did, I was just mad at you." He explained to her.

"I'm glad you know what you did was wrong, but you're still not coming back in the house until tomorrow, and you still have to talk to your brother."

I can't believe she's making him leave for the night. What did he do? I guess he's just going to drive to one of the man-whore's houses and sleep there for the night. I watched as she went back into the house, and soon the light coming from rooms in the house were shut off and Cameron was left outside alone in the dark. Since I was beyond tired, I got back in my bed and fell asleep. The sucky part about it was that I only slept for about two hours before I woke up again. Just knowing that Cameron was outside probably freezing or something, didn't settle well with me.

Again I got up, and I peeked through the curtains. It wasn't hard to see him since my eyes were already adjusted to the dark, and because the moon was shining bright. He was still sitting in a chair by their pool. If he had been asleep I wouldn't have felt as bad for him, but he was awake just looking at the pool water. The feeling of going out there to join him didn't sink in until he got up, left their yard, and walked into the forest just beside out houses. He's obviously stupid, I mean there are snakes, foxes, and other wild animals out in the trees at night.

Quickly, I got up and slid into some shorts, tennis shoes, and tossed a hoodie on over my tank top. Then I crept downstairs, and headed to the basement to go through the back doors down there. All was well until I bumped into my mom, who was coming up from the basement. "Where do you think you're going young lady?" She asked surprised to see me awake.

"I have to go outside for a minute. Cameron got kicked out and he ran off into the woods, he just moved here and doesn't know about all the crazy things out there that could hurt him. Boys are stupid mom you know that." I explained faster than I could think.

She thought about it for a minute. "Alright but you aren't going out there without a flashlight. If you aren't back within an hour I'm going to be very upset with you." She warned me.

"I'll be back I promise," I assured her.

***

I've been searching around the place I saw him go in at for the last ten minutes. Unless he is a monkey that can climb trees, I should have found him by now. Sighing, I continued walking forward near the creek that I'd soon come to. Already I could hear the sound of the water flowing over the many tiny smooth pebbles. I had never been down to the creek at night before, not since there are spiders I wouldn't be able to avoid running into, and other disgusting things.

After I finally cleared through the brush, I was greeted by the light of the moon. It lit up the creek, but not enough to make me want to observe it's beauty. I had just turned around to go back, when I heard someone sigh and then a small splash sound. I froze for a moment, hoping I hadn't been caught by a cannibal or something. Then it hit me that that sigh came from the crazy kid I was looking for. I spun back around and slowly made my way down the side of the hill I was on, to the water's edge. Just around the corner from where I had been, was Cameron. He was just sitting by the water with his arms crossed on top of his knees.