Chapter Twenty-Four: Back on Track

Rebecca

As soon as I got home from school, I went to my room and collapsed in my bed. What the hell? I don't even know what happened today. Rachel finally told me and Cody what happened, then Tristan showed up and said he never cheated on me, said he loved me, and just wanted to protect me from Cameron. Then they got into that fight. 

The principal called all of us down to the main office since she had heard about it from teachers who said kids were talking about it non-stop. We all met together before we went to her office though and promised to deny the whole thing, and we all did. I told her it was just a misunderstanding and people were blowing it out of proportion.

After she had talked to us though, Tristan tried to talk to me about us. I told him to leave me alone and that I didn't want him to talk to me ever again. It's not fair I know, but I don't feel the same way about him that I used to. When I went to my car in the school parking lot, Cameron and I made eye contact. I thought he was going to try to talk to me as well, but instead he just got in his car and drove off. I can only imagine what is going on in his mind right now. Tristan made it perfectly clear that Cameron just wants me in his bed. Part of me really doesn't want that to be true, but the other part knows that it is.

I tried for thirty minutes to go to sleep, but there was so much on my mind that it was useless. Grumpily, I dragged myself out of my bed and flopped down on my bay window. My diary was already open, waiting for me to spill my problems into it. At first I didn't know where to start, and when I couldn't decide, I just started writing. After it was all written out, I felt better and almost fell asleep until a rock hit my window right next to my ear. 

Surprised, I let out a small squeal before I looked down to see where it came from. Cameron was standing in my backyard with another rock in hand ready to toss if the first one hadn't caught my attention. What does he want now?

Sighing, I pulled open the window and waited for him to explain himself. "Hey," he smiled, proud that he got my attention.

I glared at him and went to shut the window. "No wait." He said quickly. I rolled my eyes, but let go of the window and looked at him again. "I was inside studying and my mom called, when I told her what I was doing, she told me to ask you if you wanted to join me," he explained. "I told her you were mad at me, but she told me to ask anyway. So what do you say?" He asked hopeful.

Tomorrow is our math final, and he and I have the same class. I really do need to study for it, and I doubt I'll be able to focus by myself. "I'll be out in a second," I muttered. Casually I shut the window, and grabbed a bag that I shoved my math things in. He could be lying, but at this point I don't really care. All guys are liars so I might as well just go with it.

When I got outside, he was leaned against the back of the house waiting for me. "You're slow," he teased.

"I can always go back inside where I won't be rushed," I replied bitterly.

He sighed, and led me back over to his house. We went through the fence gate, past the pool that I was just wishing to jump in, and stopped at a table on their patio. "We're working out here?" I asked. It was hot, but luckily the table was in the shade.

"Would you rather be inside my house?" He asked, knowing I wouldn't.

I sat down and started working on some review packet. He had his out too, and seemed to have forgotten I was even there with him. Each time I glanced up at him I expected to meet his eyes, but I didn't a single time. He was just breezing through the thing while I kept skipping around because I couldn't remember how to do most of it. "Is she collecting this?" I asked him.