Chapter 22

3 years later

Hardin

I feel Tessa wrap a leg around me and I wrap my hand around her leg pulling her closer "Morning"her sleepy voice says "good morning love"I say back and the door flys open "Emery"I groan and Tessa rubs her eyes "I was to excited tooth fell out and I heard yous talk"she holds the tooth right in front of my face "ok I get it..wait where you listing to us"I say pulling my face away and she just avoids the question"mommy look"she says crawling onto the bed "make sure you leave it under your pillow you should go do it now"Tessa tells her she is just trying to get her to leave "ok mommy I will"she jumps down of the bed running out of the bedroom "too early to be hearing about that stuff"I say and she laughs "I'm back"

"Oh great"I say and she turns her head to the side in confusion "daddy are you been sarcastic"she asks me and I hear Tessa laugh beside me "how do you know what that is "dad I'm four almost five in two months I'm not an idiot"she rolls her eyes at me "well some children shouldn't have an attitude at this age"I remind her "well to bad I do"she gets up beside Tessa whispering something to her and they both giggle "are yous going to share the secret"I ask them both and Emery looks to Tessa shaking her head and she smiles at her "sorry Hardin girl stuff"Tessa tells me "Emery we need to go school shopping"

"Nooo I don't want to go school"she whines "you will love it sweetie uncle Landon is going to be your teacher"

"But I want to stay with yous"She tells us "but we need to work you will be home all alone"I try to explain to her "I can come to work with you"
"Your going to school Em you need to so you can learn"

"But I know how to count to one hundred 1,2,3,4-"

"We know you can but you can learn more"I stop her "I'll try it out but if I don't like it I'm not going back ok daddy"she try's to make a deal with me "ok try it for 1 month"

"Ok deal"she shakes my hand "how about 7 months"
"Fine"

"I'm going to run you a bath"Tessa tells her getting up out of bed "but mommy I had a bath on Sunday "

"Ands it's Wednesday"Tessa tells her
"So it's been you stinking up the house"I tease her "no I don't stink mommy tell daddy I don't stink"

"You may stink a little"Tessa tells her "Ugh your so annoying"Emery just hates taking baths just washing herself you literally have to pick her up and scrub her and she loves been outdoors and someone always ends up with the outdoors all over her "Emery"I hear Tessa call her "Emery mums calling you"I tell her and she climbs of the bed "Emery"Tessa calls again

"I'm coming"she shouts "behave"I warn her "sorry"She puts her hands in the air walking to the bathroom

"There she is finally in a tub"Tessa comes out "good she needs a deep scrub"

"I worried about her"Tessa tells me "why"
"I don't know she just is apprehensive about going and she is never like that with new places"

"She does really enjoy preschool it's probably just a big change for her I'm sure she will be fine"I rub her shoulders "I hope your right..I better go wash her hair"she goes back to the bathroom and I get myself dressed and Tessa comes out with Emery wrapped in towels "it's freezing"She says and I sit her up on the bed and "Hang on a minute no one gave me a good morning hug"I put my arms out "sorry I forgot"she wraps her around me and Tessa starts to brush her hair "ouch to sore"

"I thinks it's time you get your hair cut it's just full of nots"Tessa says to hair "Can I get it cut up to her"she points just under her shoulder "well I thought just a trim but if you want it shorter you can"

"I do I want it like yours mommy"she tells Tessa "well we will get your school supplies first than we will go to get your hair cut I might actually get a wash and blow dry"

"Daddy you should get your hair cut"

"Why my hair is fine"I remind her "it's long girl long"

"Well I like it this way"

"Whatever you say"she shrugs her shoulders "arms up"Tessa says putting her jumper on and she jumps down to put her trousers on "now just to dry your hair"

"I'll do it you go get dressed"I go get the hairdryer

••

After we went school shopping I don't think Emery is so nervous we'll not as much as she was before she was so excited picking out her supplies and her bag right now her and Tessa are getting their hair done I'm just waiting  for them Emery is chatting away to the hairdresser as she cuts her hair "now you all done what do you think"

"I love it"she smiles "Emery you look so grow up"Tessa says to her and she smiles "thank you mommy daddy what do you think"

"I love princess"She really does look more grow up.
"She is so happy with hair self"Tessa quietly says to me as we walk to the car Emery is flicking her hair from side to side

"My tooth is all clean and under my pillow"Emery tells us as she gets ready for bed "well you have to make sure you stay asleep or else she won't come"
"I definitely will"she says getting under her duvet "goodnight princess"I kiss her forehead "goodnight daddy"she says turning over on her side and I switch on here nightlight I quietly shut her door over and go back out to the living room and Tessa is emptying her bag "what are you doing"I ask her "I don't have any change to put under her pillow do you"

"I'll check now"I go through my pockets and wallets "here I found a dollar that's all I have on me"

"Do you want to do it or me"she asks "I have to finish up some work I'll do it"

"I'm going to go into bed to watch some tv I'll see you in a bit"

"Oh you will"I say to her and she turns to me winking

Next morning

"Abhhhhhh"Me and Tessa both jump up "what was that Emery"Tessa looks to me and we jump out of bed "I got 100 dollars it was a good tooth"

"100 dollars"me and Tessa both say at the same time "are you sure it's not 1 dollar"I pull it form her "shit"I say it is 100 dollars why the fuck did I have an 100 dollar bill in my purse "I wonder what I'll spend it on"she runs past us "I thought it was a 1 dollar bill"Tessa says to me "I thought it was"

"Now I think I have more money than you daddy"she says holding up the money "Maybe you shouldn't spend it all at once you could save some of it"Tessa says "why mommy that's boring"

"Do whatever"Tessa says "we're not getting that back of her"I tell her and she shakes her head no