Chapter 6

CARLO'S POV:

The smoke blows out and I watch the different swirls as they dance around each other in a spiral.

"Wow." I whisper, smiling a tiny bit, feeling enchanted by the entire thing. "Pretty." I mumble putting my hand through it.

Adelaide is pretty.

Gorgeous actually.

No more than that. I don't think there is a word strong enough to explain Adelaide.

My Adelaide though is unconventionally broken, not just from heartbreak and abuse of every kind and everything else.

But she has this habit of poisoning herself, her words and thoughts are laced with self-doubt. My Adelaide deserves everything the world can offer her, which is why it hurts her most. Because she doesn't get what she deserves, she hasn't for a long time and now she's back to square one.

But you see, my Adelaide is so fucking strong. Even when her whole world is crashing and crumbling before her, and the ground gives up beneath her feet, she still managed to say,

"I'm fine, don't worry about me."

Because it's her world falling apart and her tears falling into her pillow.

"Boss!" Jonathon kicks open my door shouting.

I sit up a little deliriously and my head rocking a little. "Wut?"

"We have a clue." He rushes breathlessly.

He opens a water bottle and makes me drink half of it before wrapping one of my arms around his shoulders and running me over to the office.

"I'm high and a little drunk, I can walk Jonny." I laugh a little at the nickname but quickly stand up when I see everyone looking at me.

"Hey." I wave and tilt my head to the side smiling.

They all get back to work and Giovanni drags me into a separate room. "Someone left the location of one of Rye's warehouses in an envelope down an alleyway next to one of our clubs." Giovanni smiles holding my shoulders.

"So?" I shrug.

He loses his smile. "It also told us a little about Adelaide."

I awaken a little more at the sound of that. "The baby?" I ask.

"No. Just about Adelaide." Giovanni looks down a little. He passes me the small note and I put it close to my face so I can read it without the words getting blurry.

She's strong, I'll tell you that, she's trying with everything she's got.

"That's a shit note." I point out.

"But it's something."

"I need to talk to Tobias." I demand, trying to walk off.

"I think you should sober up first."

"Yessir." I stand up straight and salute him.

****

Tobias sits upright in the middle of his cell staring off at the cell opposite him where Lexi is sat.

Lexi on the other hand is staring at another one of the guys we have locked up, "Lexi you have a little drool here." I announce pointing to the corner of my own mouth to hint that's where it is on her.