Chapter 15

Barristan POV

After watching the Queen mother her sons he felt proud of her. She had crushed two rebellions against both of her uncles without raising a single sword agaist them. When she had raised her swords against the rebellions that had arose after, she had crushed them. House Lannister was all but gone, House Greyjoy had bent the knee to the throne. But the realm faced a deadlier, colder enemy if the Watch would be believed. The Others are marching south. Well winter is coming afterall.

He makes his way to the small council meeting as he thinks of all the tales he was told of the Others as he was growing up. They are things of legend. He remembers his own father saying to him after he had first been told of them. "The direwolves must die. They are menaces to us all. Ever since the Whore Queen gave birth all they do is howl." "No one has visited the Godswood in weeks. Not even the Queen."

He overhears two maids whispering. "I would leave now ladies whilst you can." He says to them. They look at eachother, curtiesies and leave as fast as they can. They called her the whore queen. He cannot believe that maids had openly called her that. She may not be a maiden but she is still their queen.

Every high lord had been disgusted by her having two bastards, some even refused to allow her to rule them as she is a woman. But she is strong and with the backing of the Starks, Tullys, Arryns and even the Targaryens the girl could withstand anything that they throw her way. She only needs to win the Martells to follow her but that may prove challenging as the girl had given her maidenhead to an unknown man.

He reaches the small council to see Littlefinger leaving with a grin, he looks in to see Lyarra sitting at the table. "My Queen. You should be resting." She looks at him. Her beauty is that of her mothers. "I have rested enough. I must show my face to my kingdom." He smiles at her. "Where is Littlefinger going to?" "The Vale. He is to marry Lysa Arryn and become the lord until Robert Arryn comes of age."

He takes a seat alongside Varys and opposite the new Maester Gerin. The sweet smell of Varys makes Barristan want to vomit. "Your Grace, the remaining Ironborn are being thrown back into the sea. I doubt they will cause anymore trouble." Gerin is a strange little man with a twisted face that everyone seemed to easily read. He is obviously an older man with greying hair and kind eyes. His voice is deep as he speaks to the room. "Good, they can return to their drowned god." She looked at Barristan. He asks her a question about her newfound trust in Littlefinger.

"Are you sure you can trust him, Your Grace?" She gives him a stern look. "No. That is why I need him far away from here." He looks at her. "Maester Gerin any other news from the north." He pulls a small scroll out of one of his pockets. "Word has come from Castle Black saying 'The dead walk' it's in Benjen Starks own hand." Her face darkens. "Call the banners. We're to go north." "It is up to the Nights Watch to guard the realm. We must reserve our forces." Gerin says as she stands quickly.

"What good is a crown without a realm? If my people are dead there is no realm." She looks at him. "We must protect everyone from the high lords to the farmers of the smallfolk." Barristan stands. "That may be so but what if someone were to make a claim on your throne. You have yet to leave an heir." "I have two heirs." "Both in the cradle and bastards." "You are to rule whilst I'm at war. If I fall in battle you are to make sure that they aren't be bastards for long." She takes his hand. "Legitimise them both." Barristan stands there speachless looking at a girl that should be with her babes. Her hand is very warm against his. "Your line will not end with you." She smiles at this and takes her leave.

Eddard POV

His brother had sent a raven to him from the Wall saying that the Others have returned. He didn't want to believe it but he had never known his brother to lie so he had called his banners back to Winterfell. When he told them of their foe he recieved many questioning looks from his men. Some even asked him if he had lost his wits. He prayed that he had but his brothers words were shown to the the lord and many of them looked uncertain but marched North anyway.