Chapter 22

Jon POV

The hardest thing was walking away from his men and his father. He had left with 20 good men and three letters for the maester to send. One to Kings Landing, one to Dorne and the last one to Winterfell. He wondered of what they might say but he would never know, his job was just to deliver them to the Maester at Castle Black.

He thought back to the army of the dead they were fighting and fear overtook him. If he should die, he would leave no heir to Casterly Rock. His beautiful little wife would be a widow and free to marry a cousin, become a Lannister again amd rule Casterly Rock. But soon enough his thoughts turn to the children in Kings Landing, two boys he had never seen.

His thoughts were disturbed by his wolf growling in to the thick woods around them all. "Halt!" He shouts at the men and they begin looking around them. Bodies begin to move towards hem throughout the woods, eyes of blue staring at them. Jon shouts out for his men to attack.

Bran POV

The ceremony for his mother had been performed, the Tully banner had decorated her bones as a flaming arrow was sent to meet them. The Tully household stood around them watching and giving them their condolences. They had returned to their chambers after it had all been done.

"Are we going home?" Sansa asks over dinner in her chambers. "Yes. On the morrow, we go to Winterfell." Bran replies. Aryas face lights up at the news. "We can go and see Father and Mother." Rickon says with excitement in his voice. "We won't be able to see them, Fathers away warring and Mother is gone."

He sees Rickons face break. "Shush Rickon. We will be home soon enough." Sansa soothes as she reachs over and pushes his hair out of his face. "When do you think Father will return?" Arya asks. "Not soon enough." Sansa responds.

Bran finishes a little more of his food, then stands. "Please excuse me, I need to make preparations to leave tomorrow. When you finish Rickon go to bed." He says "I will find you two later." He addresses his sisters before walking away.

Lyarra POV

Ever since Jon had told her the truth of his parentage she had not been able to look at Eddard the same way. He lied to everyone. She thinks to herself but then she thinks of the red bundles of Rheagars children being presented to her father. She understands why he had dome it then.

Her father had no love for Targaryens, Jon is a threat to her claim on the throne she holds. He would never seek the throne. Her boys came to her mind then, her little boys. They will never suffer the fate of Rheanys and Ageon. She promises herself.

Almost a week had passed since Jon had left for Castle Black. Waiting for news was driving her mad of course she knew that he wouldn't return for atleast two weeks depending on the weather.

The thought of Jon meeting her boys warms her dreams in long cold nights of the North. She and all the men remaining don their armour every morning and fight. They kill the dead to save the living but the Wights are relentless as they try to kill the living.

The White Walkers begin to make an appearance. But as warrior after warrior kills Wights and White Walkers, they begin to realize how desperate their situation really is. That is until the Tullys bring their forces to hers.

They stand on the archers hill Edmure Tully watches as the dead fight the living and he looks at her with his blue eyes. Robbs eyes she realises sadly. "Is it only fire that keeps them at bay?" She knods. "The red priestess needs to do more fires or we'll get people deserting."

"I know. She lights them every morning and every evening as she burns the dead when they die." She sees fear on his face. "You and your men will have a days rest but we will all fight after you have rested." She walks away and leaves him alone.

Eddard POV

Edmure and his men had only been at the Fist three days. They had fought beside the Northerners for two of those days. More Wights had died but there still seemed to be no end to them. He and his men were totally exhausted they hungered for home, food, warmth and the women they loved.

He wanted to feel Cat again, to love her, to put another babe in her. The memory of her fiery red hair warms him at night. He thinks of all of their children and Jon, how he had hurt her when she came to Winterfell to find Jon and his wet nurse already there. He had shamed her by doing so and not telling her the truth of his parentage.

Donning his armour he says a silent prayer to the Old Gods. He prays that the gods will be looking over them and leading to victory over the Others. He says a prayer for the fallen men that have died since they set up camp. He drapes his cloak over his grey armour and leaves the tent to stop the long night as his ancestors had centuries before.