Chapter 1

Catelyn POV

The sound of metal hitting metal rang through the yard as Catelyn watched Robb and Theon attacking eachother, Robbs hits were quick with power behind them whereas Theons were slower and weak, Robb beat Theon with a quick swing. Rodrick gave feedback to the boys but Catelyn was not listening, she was focused on Jon Snow who had also been watching the fight, the bastard was next to fight Robb. Catelyn left the yard to check on Septa Mordane with the girls and to avoid the bastard trying to be a brother to Robb.

The Septa was checking Sansas stitches, Arya was nowhere to be seen, Jenye Poole was chatting to Sansa quietly as she walked in the group went silent. Catelyn knew Arya must have done something again. Arya was completely opposite to Sansa both in looks and personality, Arya took after Ned with his grey eyes, dark brown hair, grey complexion and long face. Sansa took after herself with the Tully blue eyes, auburn hair and fair skin. Arya was more wolf than girl, Sansa was everything a Lady should be, the girl fought like cat and dog when together.

The Septa looked her way "Lady Catelyn Arya has run away from my lessons again." "I shall find her and bring her back at once." "Thank you my lady." She left the room and began to search for the youngest of her daughters, walking to the Godswood she spotted Bran on the roof of the stables. Smiling she called out his name, Bran looked and climbed down to his mother. "How many times do I ask you not to climb the walls?" He looked at his feet and said quietly "I don't know Mother." Catelyn smiled at him "The one thing all of my children have in common is that when they lie they all look at thier feet." He laughed as she told him to go and find Rickon. When she walked in to the Godswood she saw Eddard at the foot of the tree beside the dark pool that had seen every generation of Starks.

"My lord have you seen Arya?" She looked at his sad expression on his long face "Ned what is troubling you my love?" She knelt beside him and looked in to his stormy eyes. "The Baratheon children Lyarra and Torrhen are coming here. A raven brought the news." Catelyn smiled sadly, the sister her lord husband had lost had made him cold, hard and withdrawn from her. "Why does this sadden you Ned? They honor us with their visit." His cold eyes met hers as she looked at his face she thought of the bastard Jon.

She pulled her eyes away from his "They are my own blood and I have never seen them. Robert had left them at Storms End in both of the rebellions." She touched his cold cheek with her walm hand. "Now after all of these years you will finally meet them. When will they arrive?" "The letter did not say my lady. Only to expect them here within the month." Standing up she looked at the weirwood, white and red, both colours unnerved her, she felt eyes watching them. "My love when you have finished your prayers here we will eat." "Thank you Cat." His smile had a hint of happiness in it. She turned and left the Godswood.

Eddard POV

Promise me had been Lyannas last words and they haunted him both day and night. Eddard sat at the high table eating with his family and house hold staff all children were on the table apart from one that ate in his room. Jon was missing, but his lady wife would scowl at both of them for bringing Jon to sit alongside his half siblings infront of the staff, he was a reminder of a woman who's name Eddard would take to his grave. He finished the feast with the news of the expected arrival of the royal children.

Jory approached him telling him of a deserter of the nights watch that had been found. Eddard was accompanied by Robb, Jon, Theon and little Bran. The mans live was ended quickly with a swift swing of Ice. He had then told Bran about why HE had ended to mans life. "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword, if you cannot look in to a mans eyes and hear his final words perhaps the man does not deserve to die." Bran must learn this now before winter comes he thought to himself. On the ride back they had found something to shock everyone from the wall to Dorne. Direwolves.

Six of them one for every Stark and one for Jon. Just before riding off Robb had pointed to two pure black pups in the snow. Eddard looked at the pups as he picked them up the eyes were a haunting purple colour. This gave him a chill and the unwanted memory of Tywin presenting the bodies of Aegon and Rheanarys Targaryen to Robert Baratheon. The blood dripping from their tiny bodies and Roberts own words "I see no children only dragonspawn." Eddard had wanted to kill Tywin for that crime ever since. The man had no honor and no remorse for the children he had set The Mountain and his men on. He would have been put to the sword or sent to the wall alongside The Kingslayer.

Riding back to the castle with the pups the boys were excited andtalking of names. Eddard could only think of the twin Baratheons and what they would look like. Would they look like the golden ones the Lannister wench had birthed or like Robert or Lyanna? Time could only tell them of the twins as the castle prepared they waited for a sign from the travelling twins. Days flew by with no word or sight of them only light summer snows marked their coming. It was two weeks after when Winterfell opened its gates to the twins.