Chapter 8

Torrhen POV

Mounting his horse he glances behind him at his twin. She stands almost as tall as Eddard but not quite. Her black hair blowing in the wind, she was wearing a dress, which was rare for her. She looks like a proper southern lady. With a smile to her for one last time, Stannis gives the order to move out, he was followed by his brother Renly, Mace and Loras Tyrell behind them was Oberyn. The snake had been told to keep his distance from Mace. He began to follow the Dornish Prince who trotted with his paramour. The men begin the march south.

Joffery POV

People believe that if they whisper he would not know what they were whispering about. The bastard king they call him. A lion dressed as a stag. He sits upon the iron throne looking at people below him. It has been a few weeks since his half brother Torrhen had been declared the rightful king and from the city walls men could see the banners of the Martells, Baratheons and Tyrells. His sworn shield the Hound seemed to know this fight would end with blood and death. Joffery will never surrender the city to such traitors to declare against his family. He may not be the heir but he had always wanted the throne, he would not give it up with out a fight.

He ordered the city gates closed and locked himself inside the keep believing his own uncles would not dare attack his what is his birthright. The crown is mine I am the only trueborn Baratheon to be born in to the crown. It belongs to me. He thought as he donned his lannister red and gold armour, back in his chambers. He had sent word to the red cloaks and sellswords his grandfather had brought from the golden company to prepare to fight to the death for the throne that his father had sat upon.

As he and his 12,000 men met the swords of the Baratheons and Tyrells, the spears of Dorne. Even if one of his men killed 5 of theirs they wouldn't win. He listens to his brother pleading for him to lay down their swords. "Brother, if one of us is to sit on the throne. It'll be me." "Joffery you have no claim, your uncle Jamie sired you." "Liar!" He wanted him dead for saying that horrid lie. He would kill Torrhen for it. "For the crime of calling yourself king, the punishment is death but you did so unknowingly so I offer you the black." "It is mine. I shall sit upon it as you burn just like your uncle." "I challenge you to single combat. Sword against sword."

With that Joffery dismounts and draws his steel on Torrhen who does the same. Before the eyes of gods and men they began to fight. Jofferys swings are slow and weaker than Torrhens fast, strong ones. Torrhen slices his leg through a weak spot in the armour. Curses from Joffery sail through the air as he bends the knee. "Take off that crown Joff." Joffery swings at Torrhens arm but he deflects it and swings his sword at his neck, cutting the flesh slightly. With that Joffery launches forward swingly madly at him from all directions.

Two blows hit him on his breast plate and he stepped back regained himself and knocked Joffery to the floor with a strong swing to his shoulder. Each of them tire as some of the sellsword Lannister men either flee back into the city or begin to kill the men they stand with. Every swing Joffery makes, his men lose interest in the two fighting and turn on eachother. Torrhen strikes Joffery ribs, Joffery slices deeply in to Torrhens leg, the false king falls to his knee before Joffery. "Bend the knee and I'll spare you." Torrhen struggled to stand and stabs Joffery through the neck.

Tywin POV

Silence echoes through his scolar as the maester reads the news from Kingslanding of his grandsons death. Tyrion sat infront of him dressed as a trueborn lion of Lannister. "What became of our men?" The drawf asks "They have been sent to the nights watch. Many fled and have been put to the sword." "Then we are truely lost then." "We will never surrender the Rock to those lesser beasts." He speaks above them both.

"My lord." the Maester says quietly "House Westerling has married in to the House Stark. Their daughter Jeyne has been bedded and wedded by the eldest Stark boy, in that order I heard." His green eyes narrowed "Send ravens to the nearby houses to put the castle to the sword. Our time may be up but we will protect Casterly Rock until Kevan is prepared to bend his knee and try to build our reputation to where it stands today." He stands and dismisses them.

Robb POV

Laying next to his new wife in bed he felt like he had betrayed both Lyarra, the girl he loved and Arianne the girl he had been promised to. Lyarra was a wild beauty with the Stark face, Baratheon eyes and hair. The other he had never met. He thinks back to her face when he recieved the arrow in the arm from a Bolton crossbowman, the panic as he hit the ground, she killed three men to get to him. After the fight was done he and the others who had been injured were seen to. He was given milk of the poppy, in his madness he saw Jeyne and he thought her to be Lyarra. They had laid together and he had soon realised that he must protect her honour, so he made her a Stark.

He lays next to the kind, caring woman who had he had married less than a week ago and sits up slowly. He stands and dresses in a room that feels alien to him. The Dreadfort is a terrible dark place. Nothing like Winterfell. He thinks back to the granite walls, the Godswood and even the crypt, all would be his one day. He leaves Jeyne to sleep within their chambers. Jon meets him with Lyarra on his arm. They seem to have been chatting of something funny but she sees me and ignores my existence.

Torrhen POV

The Warrior himself has protected me until now. He had never lost a battle not even at practice. His leg stung as he sat upon his horse and he silently prayed to the Mother for mercy. The cut to his leg had reopened when he climbed on the saddle, blood had dripped for nearly a day before he had allowed it to be seen to. The Martells must be livid. The battle for Kingslanding had barely been a battle.

Reaching the camp they were greeted by men feasting in the tent. Jon Arryn and Edmure Tully greet him as a king before the Martells. Loras Tyrell had slipped out of the tent unnoticed. "Why did you come here? Why are you not sat upon the throne?" Lord Jon asked. "Stannis holds it for me as I finish this war." Oberyn takes to the table and begins to eat the food laid out. Mace Tyrell gives him a disgusting look, as if he had spat upon the old lords shoe. Oberyn sat and scowled at them. "We were promised justice for Elia and her babes. Where is our vengeance?"

Torrhen knew he had promised three heads but as of yet they had been given none of those promised. The Mountain and his men had not shown their faces and where they were was a mystery only the gods knew. "It's in that castle, Tywin will not allow himself to be pushed in to submission, war is coming and with it winter." Torrhen spoke. Oberyn casts him a look with his black eyes. "Aye, winter is coming. You Starks and those words." "I'm not a Stark." He snaps sharply his blue eyes flashed with anger. The Dornish man could sense the fury in this young king. "Oh I see it now, you truly are more stag than wolf." The king walks swiftly out of the tent.

Jon speaks first "Your Grace you're limping. Are you injured?" The king nods "It has been seen to and is fine. Do not worry of it, my lord." Mace Tyrell walks behind them. "Your Grace I believe you need to take a woman to wife. I know of some girls your age that would be more than willing to wear your cloak." "Deciding on who is to be my wife is not what we came here to do. I came to fight the Lannisters on the battlefield." "As did I, Your Grace."

"Jon any news from the north?" "Yes the Dreadfort has fallen along with the Boltons. The Stark boy took an arrow to the arm and was wed there so they may be slow in reaching us. Ned wanted to make sure the boy was well." "The gods were merciful to him. How is my sister?" "She is well." "Now that she has donned the Stark cloak, her place truly is in Winterfell now." "Your Grace she was not the woman the boy married. T'was Jeyne Westerling. The Martells have been robbed of a husband for Arianne." The kings blood ran cold. They will be even more livid. In the same breath he thinks of his sister. She loves him and the bastard.

"Aren't the Westerlings sworn to house Lannister?" He nods slowly as the men were calling him. They walk in to the main tent filled with lesser lords and look at the main table to a golden crown much like his fathers just lighter. "If the men would call you a king you should look like one." He rests the crown upon his brow and watches lord Arryn bend his knee. "Long live the king!" Was all he could hear as chants surounded him.