Chapter 4 - Help me!

I can't believe the situation I was in. The worst scenarios ran through my mind. My mind was cluttered with questions and I couldn't speak a word. What do I know about France in 1870? How did I get here? Where do I go? Where do I live? How will Clayton, mom and dad find me? Do I have food in my bag? The French revolution is done right? How many years till the next World War? Do they burn down witches in 1870?

I stared off in a daze. My breath was shaky and I was on my knees on the rug of the Primadonna room. I felt sick to my stomach. I didn't even notice when Erik kneeled and hauled my up violently and stared dead into my eyes. Oh right, this is the real Phantom. Ugh I still have to deal with him. Erik opened his mouth to speak but then I heard approaching footsteps outside the room and turned to it. Some people were walking this way and were about to enter the room. No no no no, hell no.

This can't be happening. How do I explain the existence of my futuristic ass to a bunch of 19th century people? What if I get taken by the police for trespass or worse, get exploited by the wrong people or sent to a mental asylum for my appearance and gadgets. I, Clarissa Emerson, have always lived a sheltered life and never worried a day about things like survival. I NEED TO HIDE.

I looked towards Erik and said, "I will tell you everything and anything you need. I'll answer all your questions. Just help me hide right now. I can't let anyone outside see me. Do you understand? Help me out monsieur and I'll stay indebted." Erik furrowed his brow and scoffed. Oh god I don't have time for this.

"Look at me Erik. Heck, I just called you Erik. Don't you want to know how I know your name? Am I not the only person around this place who managed to kick the Phantom of the Opera in the face and walk out of it alive? Trust me-I truly need your help. I AM DIFFERENT. And I can't be found out this way, not until I understand my own situation. Please." I pleaded.

I could've sworn I saw his icy-blue gaze soften for a second. He gently held me by my elbow and swished his cape. He lead me through the mirror swiftly and shut it behind. He walked ahead and guided me through the dark passages with precise and soundless steps. Muscle memory or not, his movements were impressively elegant and poised and his luxurious black clothing made him look surreal. When the adrenaline from my previous nerve-wreck simmered down, I realised I am going to see the Phantom's Lair, the real one.

Erik's POV

The strangest of things happened to me in the last hour. After lessons with my dear Christine, I heard an intruder wandering into the prohibited paths of my Opera - an outrageous act that always ends in blood. I stalked behind the source of noise and it led me to the passageway near the Primadonna Room, and I saw the silhouette of a person, a woman. She had left the mirror-passage open ajar while she idled around the area. This set my blood on rage. I had to silence her quickly and shut the mirror. With my Punjab lasso in hand and a deadly stealth that I honed for years, I strangled her with no remorse. My eyes shifted to the weird box-like object emitting light in her hand and what happened after, to say I was shocked would be an understatement.

This young damsel who was much shorter in height and obviously inferior in strength, made use of some martial arts form I've never seen before. She acted like a trained soldier and had managed to put me, The Phantom of the Opera in a fix. Her blows were precise and immaculate, like she did this her whole life. Her voice didn't waver once and she looked me in eyes while she spoke. Who is she?

"Alright Phantom, or should I say Erik Destler, you know I can easily defend myself and call for help in no time. You may as well spill up before the security here throws you out."

This outrageous woman, not only does she know who I am, she nonchalantly uttered my birth name that I haven't heard in years myself. She talked down to me like she didn't fear the imminent darkness she'll bring upon herself. I saw red. I will see to the end of this.

One thing followed the other and now here she is, in my home. She looked around wide-eyed and I saw her taking in every inch of my home. Her eyes shone when she saw my sketches scattered around. She paced from one thing to another. What have I brought upon myself? This weirdly dressed woman who chose to plead to me, the Phantom, for help, I didn't know a thing about her.

I cleared my throat to bring her attention.

Light reflecting from the lake glistened on her as she turned to look at me. I was transfixed.

Her eyes were the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. She smiled widely at me with a warmth that reached my heart. I could smell her sweet perfume that had filled the air around. Her soft hair fell abstractly around her shoulders yet they looked perfectly in place. This strange woman, she just stood there and smiled, yet she seemed to glowed.

Who are you?