Chapter 26 - Welcome Back

Previously: Aziel looked down at me and offered his hand to get up. I looked up at him and whisper-screamed at him, "WHAT THE HELL DUDE."

With trembling hands and my heart thundering inside my head, I took his hand and got up. Before I could even turn to look at everyone, I could feel everyone's gaze weighing on me, staring me down head-to-toe. Of course! Even if I am wearing a full-length black gown it still doesn't fit this period. I suddenly got conscious of the deep neck of my gown, the off-shoulder straps and slit starting from thigh. There's no way I can let these people see that slit-open bodice. I looked ahead a pulled my business-smile. I glanced in Madame Giry's direction and gave her a soft nod, her eyes widened in realisation. I heard gasps and squeals from the ballet chorus, turning my head I saw Christine and Meg dewy-eyed and smiling widely. A lump formed in my throat from all the running emotions. Before I started speaking, I looked up at the rafters above the stage, catching the shadow that I can even recognise in the dark.

"I just came back from – er, America. Monsieur Andre and Monsieur Firmin, congratulations on becoming managers to the famous Opera Populaire. We are so close to the show of Hannibal and the stage backdrop falling on the Soprano is not a good omen. Perhaps, good messieurs, are you in need of a new Stage Director?" I finished off in a smooth voice.

"That's Clarissa Emerson, she worked with us as an Assistant Stage Director around a decade ago but had to abruptly leave due to her personal engagements abroad. She is a lady blessed with artistic talents. You may recognise her for her famed beauty and makeup items that are sold in heavy prices amongst the circles of well-fortuned European nobility." Madame Giry spoke to Andre and Firmin, their knitted brows of confusion easing to a calm expression and then again to a surprised one. Meanwhile I walked down the stairs towards the stage while Aziel followed. He held his hand out to me while I bundled my dress skirt. When I took Az's hand my eyes instinctively went to the rafters above the stage.

On the mention of the makeup products there were sudden gasps and whispers spreading across the room. Andre and Firmin now walked up to me, greeting with smiles.

"Indeed, we are in the presence of the most-talented Ms. Emerson. Your products which are now a prized possession of Countess Elizabeth's household. They now fetch heavy prices as not even imported products rival their quality." Andre said.

"That is true, it's a pleasure to have you back. Your arrival alongside me and Andre taking the helm at Opera Populaire can be a sign of good fortune." Firmin added. He now looked at Aziel and asked, "Who might this gentleman be, accompanying you Ms. Emerson?"

"Oh, this is.." I drawled confusingly. This was the first time my confident business-like demeanor flipped off. How should I convincingly introduce him? Stupid Az rushed us into this. Not only are we inappropriately dressed but we have no planned backstory.

I can't introduce him as a boyfriend right? Travelling around with a lover is too scandalous here. Maybe my fiancé? NO, that's a big commitment with many plot holes. Then what can it be, cousin, relative, parent, what?!

"Aziel Kavinsky. I'm a family-friend of Ms. Emerson. I accompanied her on her cruise to France." Az walked forward shaking their hands, and a bow to Madame Giry.

"Yes Monsieur, Mr. Kavinsky had business in France as well. So, we sailed together." I added.

"Oh, what kind of business?"

"Mainly reviving the business Ms. Emerson had to leave midway due to an emergency. You can say I'm her potential investor. We are here to study the market and invest our capital appropriately. With industrial revolution taking all over the western world, I thought the profits reaped from the American market can be invested into the flourishing cultural-hub of France. I must add your model of scrap metal business is an impressive one. With rapid industrial revolution a business that replenish resources back to the industry has a long-term sustainability. I just saw Mr. Raoul De Chagny talk about his patronage to the arts. I asked Ms. Emerson to bring me here since I harbour similar ambitions about the Opera Populaire." Az finished off smoothly.

I smiled up at Az, in awe of his presence of mind. That was one beautiful story he cooked up in under a minute. While I'm still dicey on how we can appropriately show proof of our alleged lineage and investing capabilities, atleast there's no Linkedin around here that they can run a background check on us. I guess me and Az have to just fake it till we make it. 

Both Andre and Firmin lit up at his flattery and open show of investing interests. They were quick to invite both me and Az to the office, while Madame Giry hugged me and excused herself to prepare Christine for her first performance that evening.

On our walk to the office, me and Az discussed about the rest of our back stories. Az will be the heir to the biggest Coal, glass and iron industries in America. Our families have been long time allies. We came back to France to set up the business again, expand overseas and patronise the Opera Populaire. Cool, that sounds neat and full-proof for now.

After my almost immediate appointment as the New Stage Director, I rushed out of the office with the excuse of work. I changed my clothes into a dress lent by Madame Giry, and went on to make last minute touches and corrections to the Stage props and backdrops. Then I threw a death stare at Joseph Buquet, the shabby and drunk stagehand. His breathe was reeking of alcohol and I reminded him that this can lead to immediate firing. Yeah, sure people here can judge me for being too arrogant on my first day but who cares.

I now headed off to the corridors but instead of looking for Az, I found myself walking a different direction. First to a desolate path, then to an abandoned storeroom and then through a secret path into a dark labyrinth of tunnels. My feet instinctively took me to him, and I remembered every single twist and turn of the cavernous and deathly traps he laid. I brushed off at the stray tears running down my cheek. I could now hear the beautiful melody of a violin and walked the last few steps, before entering the place that to me felt like home, his home.

Note: If you are reading this on a random website called novelhd or novelww, kindly head out asap and continue reading my story on wattpad. Wattpad is where I actually publish, other websites have stolen my work with no consent. Also judging by how they steal they are a shady website anyway. You can find all their posted stuff on more authentic websites that will actually benefit the respective writers.