Chapter 42 - Prelude to the Big Day

A sea of shocked whispers and screams flowed across the ball room as a large boom followed the Opera Ghost's sudden disappearance. I stood at one place, holding my ground. I was shell-shocked and it was a taking a while to process what just happened. Not only did my plan of doing one last good deed before leaving this world completely fell through, but instead of snatching Christine's engagement ring hanging over her neck he ran off with my pendant. Does that mean he no longer...?

WAIT. That is not relevant right now. My pendant, without it I cannot possibly return?!!!!

I felt a rough tug as someone grabbed me by the elbow and pulled me back. I collided with a rock-hard chest. I turn around to find out it was Aziel. He had another protective arm pulling back Christine from the spot where Erik just disappeared.

Aziel: That fucker did not just do that

Christine: Wait Clary was your pendant very expensive?

Clarissa: You bet it was

Meanwhile Raoul came running in strapped with a sword and plunged into the path where Erik jumped into.

Aziel: I should go with him

Clarissa: No don't! Do you think he is stupid enough to leave open a path that leads directly to his Lair?

Aziel: Then take me to him so I can beat the shit out of that punk. How did he know we were about to escape?

Clarissa: Think it out, let's not escalate this-

Aziel: HE ESCALATED IT FIRST. We had this conversation before Clarissa, you know how we should deal with him.

Clarissa: Okay, but let me think. Barging into his lair with a gun will not help us in anyway. I'm sure he has many tricks up his sleeve before doing this. Our main focus is to get back my pendant with minimal collateral damage. Do you understand?

Aziel nodded in response but he had a grave facial expression. It looked like he was ready to fight Erik to death. Honestly, the anger was slowly flaring within me as well. It's like a repetition of what happened 10 years ago. I remember he took my pendant back then too, taking away my agency and choice to go back home. Huh, as expected, this is pathetic. I'm just going in circles with Erik and there's nothing worth waiting for. If violence is the only way we can respond, then so be it.

Christine: Clary, Aziel, WHERE IS RAOUL?

Aziel: Right Raoul! I forgot. Don't worry, he'll be fine.

Christine: How would you know?

Clarissa: Christine don't worry we've got this. Aziel, go fetch Raoul. I will take Christine to the carriage.

Christine was understandably worried sick. I took her back to the carriage. On my way to carriage, everyone rushed up to me to ask if I was okay. The managers told me that I will be appointed bodyguards within the Opera Populaire going forward. I tried to convince them out of it but they were not ready to hear any arguments. I guess the people here do care a lot. Carlotta had also rushed up to me and hugged me tightly, while giving a mean look to Christine.

Carlotta: Goodness, living around this toad has put our Stage Director in danger. He would not have attacked you if it was not for HER. Oh wait, Christine would not have performed in this place at all if she didn't make her secret dealings with that murderous Ghost. I say we throw this girl out of here.

Clarissa: Madam, no! Don't say that! This is not Christine's fault. I guess the Opera Ghost had personal scores to settle with me, since, uh, I opposed him so violently and did not follow any of his letters or instructions.