Chapter 37 - Aftermath

Author's Note: Credits for the artwork to artist, found this on Pinterest. You may find this chapter shorter than usual, but don't worry. I'll update the next part pretty soon. Quick question to readers, what has been your favourite moment in this story so far? 

Clarissa's POV

I saw a dream, in which I was walking through a busy street, somewhere in modern-day LA. I pushed my way through to reach an emptier path, which was facing a lake. A man stood there, wearing a well-tailored tuxedo holding a bouquet of hydrangeas. When his dark-blue eyes meet mine, he smiles. I run up to him and he hugs me tightly. I reach up my hand to gently ruffle his dark blonde hair. The dream ends in a blur and I feel my senses coming back to me.

When I open my eyes, I felt like I woke up from the deepest of slumbers. My whole body ached and head felt like it was splitting in two. I saw black dots in my vision, unable to clearly decipher where I was. I squinted my eyes, and noticed I was surrounded by soft light of candles. I was in a bed, a very comfortable king size bed placed in a room of some sort of mansion. This room was big enough to fit any decent New York apartment inside it, and was heavily decorated in luxurious, European style. Where was I? this place felt eerily familiar as well as unknown. I opened my mouth to call someone, but my throat burned from dryness. I saw a jug placed at a mahogany side table, alongside an embellished jewellery box. I stretched my hand to reach the jug, but all my joints were hurting. I supported my body with my elbows and got up, trying to reach the jug again. the movement caused the jewellery box to drop, and I heard footsteps approaching the door at its sound.

I look up and find worried expressions etched on three people: Aziel, Raoul and Christine. Aziel had already rushed to my side, filling me a glass of water and picking up the box. Christine took no time to jump on the bed and hugged me from the side. Raoul seated himself at the side of the bed and put his right palm against my forehead and other on his forehead, checking for fever. When I gulped enough water to extinguish my burning throat, I managed to speak, "Can anyone tell me how I am here? What happened?"

Raoul spoke up first. "We saw Aziel bring you to us, carrying you in his arms. You were laying cold at the terrace when it was snowing."

Christine: And you were completely unconscious and not responding. Given the situation at the Opera that day, we thought bringing you here would be the best alternative.

Aziel: You've been knocked out for a whole day. The doctor said your pulse had declined for some time but no underlying condition was diagnosed. Come on, have some solid food now, you must be hungry.

Clarissa: Thank you guys, I don't know what happened to me. I just fainted out of the blue. It could be all the shock and running around from that day.

Raoul: Sounds about right. That being said, what were you doing up there? At the terrace?

Clarissa: I- um, went there because I saw you both go there. I informed Aziel before leaving.

Aziel: Yes true, I went up to check on all of you some while later, only to find Clarissa unconscious.

Raoul: Strange, given the timing, we should have seen you on the stairs to the terrace.

Clarissa: Well, I don't know about that. When I reached the terrace no one was there.

Christine: No one... good.

Clarissa: Huh? Was there another person I should have seen?

Raoul: Oh no, don't bother. Christine has been confused for a few days. She was even sceptic that you were knocked out by someone on purpose.