Chapter 6 - A new day

I woke up to the smell of burning candles and dim light. The air felt stuffy and humid. I reached out to my right to get the AC remote. I was met with cold expanse of a crumpled velvet blanket and smooth bed covers. Without opening my eyes I reached for my phone under the pillow. The screen showed 11 a.m. What am I doing sleeping in so late? I'll be late for my daily sight-seeing tour around the city. Did I charge my camera last night? I jerked up instantly and saw black curtains draped all around my bed. The bed – it's not my hotel – that's - right. My nightmares begin after I wake up.

I sigh as I peer down at the contents of my bagpack which are now sprawled on the Swan bed. I carried all the tourist essentials. I had too many chocolates and candies, various packaged snacks, two cup ramens, two fully-charged power banks, extra cash in various chains, a bag of medicines, sanitary pads, a bag of toiletries, makeup products, extra undergarments, a bag with my skincare products, tangled earphones and cable wire, extra set of clothes, my passport and ID documents, a neck pillow, my perfume and for some odd reason... a 3X3 Rubik's cube. Last night I listened to some music on my phone and cried myself to sleep while seeing videos and photos on my gallery. I switched off my phone and stashed it inside my bag with all my other belongings.

My wristwatch showed 11:40 a.m. and I walked out of the 'room' which was separated from the big study area by a carved wall. I checked the time with Erik last night. Apparently, the time was somehow same here, just one of the many mysteries I have no clue about. Erik was playing what I think was Beethoven's piano Concerto No. 3. It suddenly occurs to me that I travelled to a time where musicians like Brahms and Tchaikovsky are in the prime of their career and I can actually go see them play if I want to. This sounds like the only upside of this whole fiasco. I walked past a few candelabras and tried my best not to knock them over. Whew, this place is a fire hazard. Erik noticed the slight scraping of my shoes and turned back to look at me.

He slowly looked at me and I could see his eyebrows raise even from the distance. He stared down at my clothes from head to toe and you may guess why. Last night I changed into some light nightwear. It was a grey oversized t-shirt and a pair of loose-fitting pink shorts. I think he stared at my legs a bit too long so I coughed and that made him flush and nervously avert his gaze.

"These are just regular clothes from where I come from. You can easily walk out in these back there."

"Hmm. Well, uhm, I would deem them highly inappropriate. You can wait here I'll bring you something to eat." Erik was still nervous and tried his best at averting his gaze and failed.

"Let me help you out with that, I'll get dressed.'' I announced.

"No you don't-" I promptly interrupted Erik, "No I must. That's the least I can do for imposing on you like this."

I quickly ran in and picked an outfit

I quickly ran in and picked an outfit. I wore a white button-down shirt paired with black trousers and light accessories. I had freshened up and brushed my teeth after waking up. I just spritzed a little perfume and swiped my lip balm. I tied my hair up and walked out while rolling up my sleeves. I can hear tinkering noises from the far-left end of the Lair, or, the house. I followed the sound and found Erik arranging utensils and ingredients on a makeshift kitchen platform. It was a simple kitchen area with ingredients shelved on the walls, a fireplace, stove, a dining table with two chairs and a storage area which I assumed was for perishable ingredients. Erik's house reminds of that youtube channel where some guys build a whole cabin, swimming pool, cottage and all those crazy stuff in the middle of a forest. Except Erik's work is a hundred times more sophisticated and professional. Every corner of this residence, the running water, furniture, layout, design etc impressed me beyond compare.

I greeted him with a smile when I walked in. He looked at me and nodded in return. We decided on the menu (he just agreed on whatever I told) and we started working. I think we made a good team because the last time I remember cooking with someone else, it mostly ended up with everyone in the kitchen being absolutely livid. It irks me in a weird way when people get in my way in the kitchen space and that is somewhat true for most people. But with me and Erik we worked together effortlessly and completely in sync, like we were a duo competing in Master Chef.

We set down the food and tea on the table and even the way we assembled the plates, cutlery and dishes was synced and efficient. What the hell.

I quietly ate my food, which meant the food was really good. I made some eggs and bacons with a chicken soup on the side. Erik made the tea himself and helped me with other tasks. Erik broke the silence and said, "You have a good appetite Ms. Clarissa." I looked down at my plate. I had finished everything on my plate and was helping myself with second serves. Erik on the other hand didn't really eat much. Maybe it is uncomfortable to eat with his mask.

"It's just that I didn't eat anything since yesterday when you-know-what happened. I actually mean to ask you if you could take me back to the dressing room where we can check the mirror? I'm desperate for any clues at this point." I said.

Erik thought about it for a moment.

"I don't think that's possible. The whole Opera house is bustling with people especially since a show is coming up by the end of this week, the Prima Donna room is no exception."

I sighed. My situation looks completely hopeless. I clutched at the pendant around my neck. Then I had an idea.

"Maybe you can take me on a tour around the Opera House? It would be better to see people here and how they interact so I can assimilate to this place better."

Erik nodded in agreement. "That doesn't sound like a bad idea Ms. Clarissa. I'll take you around my passages but beware, you must be light on your feet and follow closely behind at all times."

Erik escorted me through the dark passageways again. Though I wasn't nearly familiar enough with these passages, this one was sure a completely different route. This time we reached the end of a spiralling staircase upwards. I sighed as I looked up to see the stretch of never-ending grey stone steps. I huffed and started climbing them. Erik quickly reached behind me and held my hand. 

"What? I can climb stairs I think."

"Yes but you certainly can't the survive a couple of deadly traps on the way." 

I did an "ooohh" expression. I suddenly remembered this was the same stairs that Raoul fell through like an idiot despite being warned to keep his hands to the level of his eyes. I chuckled when I remembered that song. 

Erik side-glanced me weirdly with scrunched brows. He shook his head and lead me through the stairs. I glanced at where our hands were intertwined. Erik's hands were big and warm in mine and that made me feel somewhat safe. After twenty-something steps he picked me up bridal-style and I muffled a "what the hell dude". 

Erik didn't pay heed and gingerly stepped zigzag on few consecutive steps. I supported myself by placing my hands around Erik's broad shoulders and back. Then I leered down to see the steps. They had a little dark edges on them. An unsuspecting person would think of them as out of place tiles. But now I know they are actually triggers to trap doors underneath. Put slight weight on them and you will fall down to murky bottom-less water with no way out. I made a mental note of yet another route under the Opera Populaire.