Chapter 14

I impatiently tap my fingers on a mahogany table top. It's a beautiful afternoon, and I'm sitting inside a café in the posh side of France.

"Pardon my delay Lady. Did I make you wait for too long?"

I looked up to greet Andre, the brother of the Countess.

"No, you didn't Monsieur, I arrived just minutes ago." I smiled at him.

He returned the smile and quickly ushered waiters to attend to our table. We were sitting in a private space inside the café which was reserved by Andre. I was generously served by the waiters and a feast was laid in front of me. Why I get this treatment you ask? Because I happen to be the only medium that could get Monsieur Andre the design to his dream home. And he treasures this mysterious architect a little too much. This meeting happens to be one of the ways to get to the genius himself.

This is the second time Andre has met me since handing over the draft designs make by Erik. Once Andre laid eyes on the design, the very next day he marched up to Opera himself to talk to me. All our conversations and meetings lead up to one objective: fixing an appointment for Andre with the mysterious and unnaturally talented architect. Which every time I had to politely decline. But this time, after serious contemplation with Erik, I have finally decided my script and exactly how I'll put an end to Andre's futile chase.

"Ms. Emerson, I believe you barely have any doubts regarding the objective of our meeting. I'm here for the sole reason to contact the architect whose designs you sold to me. And I'm here to reinstate that I don't plan on letting go of finding this person anytime soon. Only a fool would let go of such talent."

"I'm well aware of that Andre. Which is why I am here to quench your curiosity once and for all. Here." I give him a close-lipped smile as I ransack through the contents of my purse. I took out a business card and slid it across the table.

Andre's eyes widened as he swiftly took the card and read its content intently. He looks up to me and states, "This is strange, but I'm ready to rely on it. So, does this mean I can finally meet the designer?"
"No, sir. Mr. Daniel Braun, the architect, works in anonymity. He doesn't wish his identity to be revealed. The only means of contact is this postal number that can be sent to his registered company. He works through an agent with his clients."

Andre's brows furrowed as he listened but then his posture relaxed. "So, may I know when I can fix an appointment with Mr. Braun's agent?"

"You're talking to her right now."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Erik's plan was that I will go and tell Andre that the architect he is obsessed with died last night after falling off a cliff.

This dude is asking for a slap right now.

I went out of my way, pulled strings and made connections, spent a whole week convincing Erik so that I can help him build a career and identity that can take him out of this underground lair. Here he is, throwing it away so casually. I felt the blood rushing to my head. How can he just take all this for granted? No, how can he take his own life and happiness for granted?

I unconsciously lashed out at him. "Seriously Erik? Don't you see the window of opportunity right in front of you? You can maintain anonymous identity, work through an agent while at the same time build a brand. I know Opera Populaire pays you, but it restricts you more. After everything we've been through, you want to go back to status quo? Disregard yourself and drown in self-loath? ANSWER ME!"

He scoffed and smirked. The audacity.

"Ah yes, I've been hiding and living like a ghost underneath an Opera House, not showing myself to a single person, spending all my days in darkness, wasting away my life sleeping in coffin for – amusement!" He spat the words like venom.

Not this again. I know he had a devastating past, but his future is even more heart wrenching and traumatic. I have decided long ago that for everything Erik has done for me, I'll help him get the life and happiness that he deserves. And the only way I found that to be possible, is to prevent what is to come. I don't want him to be obsessed with Christine, go down the path of murder and burn the whole Opera House; while he ends up alone, shattered in a bleak existence.

I held back my tears. What can I do in this situation? I'm not a therapist, how do I bring him to a break through? Am I just wasting my time? Nope, I won't let that deter me.

"Erik, listen. You love your work. I saw how you spent all night working on Andre's design. I've seen the Opera House enough to know how you pour your heart and soul into building a place and creating art out of nothing. You have nothing to lose here, so why not give it a try? This is your true passion, and you are robbing yourself by denying this opportunity. Please, think about it." I said.

Erik listened to me with his mouth agape. He then looked down and pondered. It was as if he weighed and evaluated everything that I just said. I left him to his thoughts.

"I'll see you tomorrow then, Erik."

I drag my feet through the marble corridors, dead tired since the end of my shift. Seeing me tired Pierre had let me and Robert take an early leave from the day's work. It wasn't evening yet and I thought about what to do while walking back to my room. I guess keeping up with a full-time job and a small business simultaneuously gets pretty tiring. I was about to climb a flight of stairs when I saw Meg and Christine, their faces hung low while Madame Giry was a few feet away, talking to someone.

I walked up to them. They were not wearing their dance costumes but were in lovely frocks.

"Hello girls, you both are looking so pretty! Going out somewhere?"

"Yes, mother was going to take us for shopping for new dresses." Meg replied.

"Was? Your plans got cancelled?"

"Unfortunately, Madame Giry was suddenly assigned with arrangements for an audition. She just said she can't take us out." Christine replied while pouting. These girls look so cute I wish I could squish their cheeks. Madame Giry came back.

"Miss Emerson, I see you are done with the work at Stage Direction?"
"Yes Madame Giry. I was just on my way back when I saw Christine and Meg."

"Yes, we got dressed to go out and buy clothes for them but...."

Madame Giry suddenly looked up at me and smiled.

"Clarissa, if you aren't busy, can I ask you to take them out? These girls were looking forward to this since weeks."

"I think I can do that Madame Giry. It's been a while since I went shopping."

I smiled when I heard Meg and Christine squeal in excitement. Madame Giry handed me money for their clothes, I tried to decline at first but she insisted. Well, guess I'll just treat the kids with a meal. 

"Alright girls, are we ready to go?" I chimed. 

"YEEESSS" Meg and Christine yelled. Madame Giry raised her eyebrows as warning but then ended up smiling. I held their hands, Meg and Christine on either side, and walked out by the gate. I felt a familiar stare on me. I glanced back but found no one. 

Coming up: An Erik POV