Chapter 34 - Bad Omen

"Costume – check, props – check, background – check, hospitality team – check, dancers – check, chorus – check, cast call – check, orchestra – check, wait, where's the soprano, Gustave?"

"In the Prima Donna room, Ms. Emerson."

"Alright, deliver these permits to the Managers office. Ask the security team to be on standby, inform the hospitality team to split their teams to reception, auditorium and corridors. Ask the security head to keep a check on the entrance and passageways. The managers have ordered to keep an eye out for any strange person."

"This is about the Ghost, isn't it?" Gustave asked.

"What are you talking about Gustave? Ghosts? We have a theatre to run and look after the security of our high-profile guests." I try to deviate.
"Rumours are spreading around, about the notes and how the new managers, The Vicomte and you are nonchalant towards it." Gustave, my assistant had a dark expression, his jaws tensing, showing a sense of anxiousness. I heard murmurs around me, from people listening into our conversation. The staff is really sceptic about the new management's attitude, they all took the O.G. seriously around here.

"Everything will be alright. I'll see to it. Now get busy, the guests will arrive any moment now. I'm going to the Prima Donna room to get Ms Carlotta. Go on now, quick." I ushered Gustave to his work, while briskly walking towards the Prima Donna room. I take one look towards the rafts above stage and sigh.

I reach the Prima Donna room and ask,

"How are you feeling, Mademoiselle?"

"My wig! IT IS-"

"looks stunning? You look perfect madame, like a real Countess, no, a Queen! Everyone's expecting you backstage. Why don't we hurry up and not keep them waiting. Girls, Escort Ms Carlotta and look after her wig and makeup. Carlotta, I know you'll do well. Maybe refrain from taking those voice-clearing sprays? I hear they can be counter-productive at times."

"Oh thank you Ms. Emerson. I've never seen such good Stage Direction like this show. I'll see you after the show?"

"Yes, you shall, see you at the after party, good luck!"

I sighed while walking towards the costume rack and arranging a couple of costumes lying about while Carlotta walked out after giving me a curt smile, followed by her assistants.

I felt a lingering presence, like a piercing gaze staring at me even though I was absolutely alone. It felt weird until I realised where I was.

I walk up to the mirror in the Prima Donna room, knowing full well that Erik is standing there, on the other side. If he's not, well, I would just look stupid. But I think I'm pretty confident its him, I can even guess his stony expression masking his interest as I walk up to him. I look straight into the mirror, facing the person behind it.

"Don't do anything stupid today." I say silently. I know full well today will be the turning point of the story, the first death, the first murder. I didn't hear any reply.

I placed my palm against the mirror, to earnestly reach out.

"I'm not trying to be condescending, it's just that, I wish you could see yourself the way I see you. Just know, that I'll be there for you, no matter what." I say the last part with a smile, and to my surprise, my pendant started glowing. However, the surface of the mirror stayed rock solid and didn't slip me to another time period. This time, the pendant glowed with warmth, right above my chest. It was as if it took the warmth from my heart, and added more warmth to it. With no response from the other side, I silently take back my hand in defeat.