Chapter 10.2 - Our Trust

Longest Chapter I wrote in this story yet! I'm super excited to put this one out for you guys. Let me know in the comments what you think about it! 

I walked into the Lair from one of the passages. Currently I knew five different routes to get to Erik's place. I walked with light steps while my mind was on high alert. Knowing the way through these underground passages was not enough but being stealthy and secretive was more important.

When I finally reached Erik's place I found music sheets scattered around the organ. I checked all the rooms but Erik was nowhere to be seen. This was quite unlikely of Erik because most of the times he would be here working at this time. And there's no doubt he would know that I have come here since his eyes are everywhere. Maybe I shouldn't concern myself with this. I mindlessly kept the baguettes and pastries on the kitchen table and left a note. I took a few things from my bag (which I chose to keep here with Erik. Taking my bag with electronics and articles of the modern world to my dorm was too much of a risk) and went back to my dorm to call it a night.

It's a Sunday morning and a day-off for everyone. I surprised myself and woke up early today with no alarms. I have to thank my lucky stars because I got my own room here in the dormitories of the Opera House. All the rooms that the ballerinas and chorus girls shared were full and one storage room was left. I figured out that the storage had good ventilation and agreed when Madame Giry offered me the storage as living quarters. I opened up the windows to let fresh air in. It was around 7 a.m. when I freshened up, took a bath and got dressed. I fixed myself a breakfast at the kitchen and saw most people were sleeping in after a late night of drinking and celebrations. At 8:30 a.m. I took a satchel and extra carry bags and hopped on a carriage to get me to the marketplace.

I came back to my living quarters and set down my heavy shopping bags. Other than a few dresses the rest of the bags were filled with herbs, flowers, gels, mixing bowls and several other ingredients. I smiled proudly while I shelved all my ingredients into proper places. I quickly checked down my inventory list that I prepared last night. Last night I started journaling ingredients and procedures to create my own handmade makeup and skincare products. This is not my first time doing this because I remember working on making such products with my mom in her study. She mixed natural face packs, lip tints and scented creams all by herself. She did use modern-day ingredients as her base so I took my time in the market to look for alternatives. I was quite hyped to kick start my first entrepreneurship venture ever in life. Business has always been my passion and what better way can I learn that having first-hand practical experience.

I worked on my products all afternoon and moved a small stove inside my room to heat things when necessary. By evening I had established proper procedures and compositions for each of my makeup items and got small samples ready. I was proud of my work. I was a bit concerned to not hear anything from Erik since so long. I got up and decided to pay him a visit.

I walked inside to the sound of an enchanting melody playing on the organ. Erik had his back to me when I walked in so I thought I shouldn't disturb him. I lightly stepped my foot forward but Erik suddenly jolted and turned to look back in my direction.

 I lightly stepped my foot forward but Erik suddenly jolted and turned to look back in my direction