Chapter 45 - Cross Road

Note: If you have come back to this story after getting this update, I love you. Yes, I love you for not giving up on this story, because I have no excuse for such a big gap. A lot has changed since my last update 2 months ago. I gave my final exams, graduated college, went on my first trip abroad, and started my first job. It all happened so quickly. Right now my work schedule has finally stabilised (feels weird to say that I am a working). I promise you this, that I'm not giving up on this story halfway. We are very close to a conclusion, and I thank every single reader who has stuck around.

Clarissa's POV

Erik goes on to serenade me with a song I never expected to hear from him. It was not a classical piece, not an aria, nor his own composition, but a song that hit charts in the year 2013. A song I listened to on repeat to remind myself that I actually am from the 21st century, and I will find my way back home, some ten years ago. Somehow, hearing this song, Erik's own rendition, every inflection of his voice filled with a deep emotion, it makes me question where my home truly is. Can I ever call a place home without this man with me? What have you done to me Erik?

By the time he finished the last chorus and looked up at me softly, I was already bawling. I was ugly crying, never have I been gutted so deeply with so much emotions before. This night right here, how perfect would it be if it can last forever. Just the two of us, not worrying about the world, nor the people around us, not the complicated universe ready to tear us apart in the most impossibly cruel way. Speaking through my tears, I couldn't hold back and leaned in to kiss him. I was aching to feel him and be with him, forever. It was a gentle touch of lips, as Erik briefly gasped, his eyes wide. I lean my forehead on his, smiling because I was so incredibly happy. I meet his eyes as he stared at my mouth, then back to my eyes, something fiery burning in his gaze. He didn't hesitate this time as he pulled me closer by grabbing my waist, deepening a kiss. It was sweet, desperate and burning with passion. I let my hands graze of his chest and tug at his hair, loosening the mask around his face and removing it with one hand. We were completely lost in the sensation and separated only when we were out of breath.

"I- I love you too, Clarissa." He spoke, smiling at me softly.

"I know." I replied, fixing his hair and running my hand over his face, scars and all. He was truly the most beautiful person to me in this world. The world around us felt like a rude awakening, if only our happiness could last forever.

"Why you two think you own this place huh? Stop playing that wretched instrument and scram, I'm trying to catch a snooze here." A glass bottle clinked and rolled down the ground as a man covered in loose, dark fabrics approached us, while limping and trying to balance his body weight. Another two steps forward and I could already smell the alcohol this far. It was an old man with shaggy beard and muddy face, carrying a tattered blanket around.

"We're sorry sir, we thought there was no one in this park. We'll leave." I replied, almost embarrassed.

"Get your man to escort you home lady. Lucky man that chap is. Hah."

"Of course the drunkard reeking of alcohol calls me lucky, he probably doesn't see my face." Erik snapped bitterly.

"Oh, I see your damn face clearly son, it doesn't change anything. I've seen a lot in this world. So, when I say you are lucky, trust me I know. Now count your lucky stars somewhere else, I'll be sleeping on that bench. Scram."

We walk silently through the night streets of Paris, holding hands. We were silent, reeling on the incidents of the eventful day.

"I think that man was right. I'm really lucky. I feel that when I walk with you, like this, out and open." Erik hummed in the night breeze.