Chapter 23 - Night Changes (+casting&aesthetics)

Clarissa's POV

April 20th, 20XX

I squint at my laptop screen and sigh. I'm currently sitting on my navy-blue sofa which is cluttered with cushions of various sizes and designs, a couple of cozy warmers, a pile of files and papers and with me at the centre of it. I scrunch my nose to adjust the spectacles sliding down my face. I restlessly fiddle with my sapphire pendant while reading the numbers all over again. The quarterly report looks fine so far, projected numbers all seem correct and the audit report tallies as well. I go through the working notes attached below for nth time, making sure nothing goes amiss.

Ping! My microwave went off.
My brunch was now heated up nicely. I pick up the laptop from my stomach and place it on to the centre table. I practically run towards the microwave, ready to gorge down the food. It's been a couple of years since I moved to my own apartment in LA. I quickly plate my food and set it on the kitchen island. I grab my phone to check on some mails. An advert in my junk mail catches my eye. "Plan your perfect holidays to Paris" was the subject. A heavy feeling tugged my chest, dampening my appetite. It's been nearly ten years since I last visited that city, and since I saw him. My mom and dad have frequented France a couple of times since then, and have asked me to come along as well. But every holiday I kept pushing it back with various reasons. First it was my college, then my job and then starting my own business. After completing my business major, I started working in Brooklyn, for a finance company. Aziel and I moved to New York together after college, as both of our works were posted in the city. We did almost everything together, our school, our college, our first internship, our first real job and our first moving out. A few years later I left my job and came back, seeking a loan to start my own business, a cosmetic and accessories brand – "Subtle". Aziel left around the same time, shifting to Real Estate, also in LA. After so many years together, our relationship did take a turn. We dated for some time during our last semester then broke it off as we both got busy. And now we are together again, since the past two months. I truly love him and he's my best friend for life. Turning our platonic relation to companionship didn't feel too drastic either.

I was cut off from my trail of nostalgia when the doorbell rang. Speak of the devil. I open the door to find Az, holding a bouquet and a box of donuts.

"Hey babe, good morning!"

He hugs my while walking in, placing the bouquet in my hands.

"Az, what's all this?" I asked smiling and looking up at him.

"Got you something special, I've been over the moon since you told me yesterday night that you plan to start a clothing line under "Subtle". I'm so proud of you babe."

"Aww thanks Az. I get all inspirations from my super amazing boyfriend. You had breakfast yet?"

"Just coffee."

"Then let's go out for lunch together?"

"Let's!" Az walked in casually, and started arranging my scattered files and cushions on the couch.

"Ahh yes, Clary, after lunch I'll help you pack."

"Pack? For what?"

"Since this quarter is over and you'll soon start working for the clothing line, we'll take a break. I'm taking you out for a vacation."

"WHAT? Vacation? Where? Wait, what about your work and mine?"

"My leaves are already approved, and your mom decided that you should be having a break before you throw yourself into more work. So, she bought tickets for us to France. We'll go and stay with your mom and dad at that family Manor of yours. Clayton was supposed to come but won't make it due to his schedule." Az smirked after finishing the monologue while my jaw dropped. My boyfriend and mom go behind my back to plan an impromptu vacation, and that too to the one place that I've been avoiding for so long.