Chapter One: Seaweed Brain

Annabeth POV:

Percy Jackson entered my life on a Monday.

I only saw him from afar – a passing glance, really. I remember him walking in through the front doors of Goode High with his head down. He held a skateboard in one hand and draped a near-empty backpack over his shoulder. His messy hair did well to cover his lowered eyes.

It wasn't love at first sight or anything like that. I hardly even noticed him at all. Sure, he was taller than most of the guys in the hallway, but he was trying hard not to get noticed, and for the most part he was succeeding.

He was the new kid – transferred from a different school because of 'bad behaviour'. If you could believe the rumours, they say he set his old school's gymnasium on fire. The rumours also say that the only reason he managed to get into Goode in the first place was because our Principal, Mr Blofis, had a crush on Percy's Mom. I tended not to care about the rumours. Truth be told, I didn't care much for Percy Jackson either.

I didn't appreciate the way he slouched his shoulders as he walked through the hallways as if he didn't want to be there; I didn't appreciate the way his hair was always messy and covering his eyes to make him look scruffy; I didn't appreciate the way he carried his skateboard under his arm because he thought it made him look cool; and I didn't appreciate the way he sat at the back of the class, twiddling his pen between his fingers because he somehow found that more entertaining than the lesson.

See, the first time I met Percy Jackson, I didn't like him at all. I hated him, actually. Regardless, I certainly didn't realise how significant that moment was, seeing him for the first time. I had no idea that after that first glance on that Monday morning – our first day of Senior Year – that my life would change forever.

I didn't have time for "Percy Jackson's" in my life – whatever that meant. He could be the newest school jock, nerd, troublemaker, over-achiever, under-performer, class clown... it didn't matter. I was all about forging my own path, making my own way in life, and I didn't have time for new people. No, I had bigger things to focus on. I was the captain of the girls' soccer team and volleyball team, Senior Body President, leader of the debate club, favourite for Valedictorian, I tutored most of my friends in most of their subjects and I had about fifty jobs outside of school just so I could get one step closer to the thing that defined my future...

College.

My Mother once told me that if I wasn't exactly like her at school, then I was a failure. She was the creme de la creme, the 'it girl'. And after high school she went to college – Yale. And after Yale she started her own company and became one of America's wealthiest business owners of all time. Everyone looked up to her. I swear, when you look at her life you start to think: "wow, she must be God's favourite". It certainly felt like that to me, anyway. And before she left me, she reminded me that I have to follow in her footsteps. Dominate my school, go to Yale, start a business, revolutionise the world, be the best.

Funnily enough, Thalia's Dad had told her almost the exact same thing. Be the best, Thalia, make me proud, make them jealous, make them lesser. School. Yale. Business. Global domination. Me and her had been chasing the same dream until-

"-Yo, Annie, you coming?" Piper shook my shoulder lightly, pulling me out of my reverie. "Don't wanna be late for our first class of the year."

I sighed. I hadn't even heard the first bell ring. Focus , Annabeth, get it together. This is your year; this is your school. Make your Mother proud.

"Yeah, I'm coming," I replied meekly.

"Woah, what's this? Are you not excited for your first day?" Piper teased. "The Annabeth Chase isn't sprinting down the hallway to sit at the front of the class? Have I missed something?" A smiled spread across her face. "Oh my gods... has the day finally come where you want to skip class? Leo will be so proud. Let's go now before they find us! We can hang out in central park and-"