Chapter Twenty-Two: Friendly Reminder, Octavian's A Di-

Annabeth POV:

If I could defend myself slightly, I'd start by saying that any mention of ATLANTIS is guaranteed to make my blood boil, but that was always a given. And it's a poor excuse for running out of the class like that.

No, in all honesty, the thing that got me first was the fact that I was having fun. Sounds stupid, I know, but can you blame me? Jackson and I went from tearing at each other's throats to complimenting each other in Greek. I hadn't intended for any of that to happen. Hadn't expected the similarities we shared, hadn't expected the way he made me laugh, hadn't expected to be so entranced by his passion for marine biology...

Hadn't expected to be so drawn in by that initial eye contact. The one that had made me nervous, made me look away, made me blush because it had been so intense. Not unsettling, either. It was warming. It felt like I had been looking at him for the first time in my life.

And of course I had chosen the marine biology worksheet without hesitation, remembering how he had mentioned more than a few times before that he enjoyed it. Chose it for him. But I hated myself for doing it. I should hate him, right? It was as he said: we're rivals.

What had got me second was when he started talking about his family. Sounds beyond shitty, I know, but I had almost hoped he would be in the same position as me. The more we spoke – the first true conversation we had ever had – the more I realised we had things in common. Why stop at the good parts? I thought. Let's share all the crap too. The crap families, the crap life, the crap e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.

But no, he went on to talk about his life in the Upper East, of all places. His Dad that shares his passions and taught him everything he knows. His younger brother who's a genius, the one that he'll actually be able to watch grow up. I could see the pride in his face when he spoke about Tyson – the pure love he had for that kid. It was unlike anything I knew.

Jackson even has the Step-Father who comes to watch his football matches. Even if he was referred to as "Step-Dick", I didn't overlook the cute nickname Jackson also gave him. Smelly Gabe, using a familiarity I so sorely lacked with my own step-family.

It was nice, sure, getting to know Percy Jackson. But it also hurt me more than I cared to admit. For all the familiarities we shared, I couldn't help but feel sorry for myself that he has what I wanted most – a family. And no amount of playful arguing could cover up the fact that I felt I deserved Harvard more than he did...for Thalia... for myself... and to prove my Family wrong. Because, from what I could tell, he didn't have anything to prove. He was already loved – and that's what set us apart.

I was hanging out with Hazel during lunch, two hours after I had run away from Jackson. Hazel seemed to think it was a step in the right direction for us, saying something along the lines of "I've spoken with Percy before and he's a really nice guy, I bet you two would get along if you gave him a chance". I didn't admit to her that I agreed.

"...I mean, he recommended all the best rides to go on at Coney Island, and Frank and I went there on the weekend, and we completely agree," she was saying.

"Your point being?" I smirked.

"I trust a guy that has good amusement park instincts," she concluded. I giggled, shaking my head.

"Well, I kind of have to trust every person you trust – you're good at judging someone's character," I complimented.

She sighed. "Hardly. Jason's supposedly been my longest lasting friend and I never would have guessed he would cheat on someone – much less Piper. And now Nico's been crying all weekend because he found out that the person he has a crush on is actually in a relationship."