Chapter Twenty-One: December

Percy POV:

December in New York.

Good for the hot chocolate, and the couples that wear matching knitted hats, and the warm smell of churros that lingers in the air just long enough to replace the smell of urine – however momentarily. Good for the Christmas lights and the people on the sidewalk that have moderately improved moods and the constant sound of Christmas carolers that never actually annoy me because the gods know how un-festive it feels in the confines of my own home. Good for the presents, not what I receive but what I give, because I like seeing my Mom's face and Tyson's face when they peel back the terrible wrapping paper. Good for the Christmas cookies my Mom makes.

Bad because of the ice that covers my favourite skate parks, making it impossible to hang out with Grover and Juniper and Caly. Bad because of the cold air that cuts through my charity-shop-bought coats too thin to provide protection. Bad because of winter break, and with the absence of school it means less time with Grover and more time stuck inside my tiny apartment with Gabe. Bad because in winter, the number of homeless people increase each night at Damasen's shelter, and I worry that he won't have room for me if I ever need to escape.

I've never been the most festive person – not since Gabe entered my life.

On a Monday morning in early December – only two weeks left until the end of the semester – I was late for class as I so often was. I was pissed off, mostly because I knew that being late for class wouldn't exactly look good on my Harvard application, and my mood hadn't improved in the slightest when I noticed that Octavian had returned to school... back from the hospital, still smiling his smug grin as if I had never laid a finger on him.

As if he had never said those things about my Mom.

I could have killed him then and there if I hadn't noticed Mr Brunner watching me from the end of the hallway. What was his problem? He couldn't actually like Octavian, could he? No one did.

"You're late, Jackson," Professor Quintus tutted lazily, not looking up from his computer when I entered. "Irresponsibility won't impress your Ivy League administrators."

"I'm sorry, Sir, it won't happen again," I grumbled, taking my seat at the back of the class.

"He says that every time," I heard Annabeth mutter to herself, and I scowled, loud enough for her to shoot me an angry look. I hoped she didn't see me blush when our eyes made contact.

"Don't let it happen again, Percy, for your sake – not mine," Mr Quintus replied, and my ears burned red with embarrassment. Grover patted my shoulder reassuringly. "Anyway, as I was saying... over the course of the next two months, you will be given a project that you have to complete in pairs. This assignment will be worth 50% of your final grades and will require a lot of hard work and time. After your pairs have been chosen, you must come to the front of the classroom and choose what topic you would like your assignment to be on. There will be a list of options here on this sheet of paper. One pair per assignment, understood?"

I grinned, looking over at Grover who returned my mischievous smile. Two months working on an assignment with Grover? I couldn't think of anything better. This would be a great excuse for me to leave my apartment over winter – spending as much time with Grover as I could – leaving Gabe alone... This was going to be the best Christmas ever!

"Right," Quintus clapped his hands together loudly, making Travis – who had clearly been asleep – jump in his seat. "Your pairs are as followed-"

There was a collective groan amongst my classmates.

"-Sir, can't we choose our partner?" Piper, already sat next to Annabeth, complained with her hand in the air.

"What? No, of course not, Miss McLean. This assignment is very important – 50% of your overall grade! I can't have you fooling around with the partner of your choosing."