Chapter Six: Let The Games Begin

Annabeth POV

"Hello, Kady Miller speaking from Olympia & Metis Corporations, how can I help?"

"Hey, Kady, it's Annabeth again-"

"-Who?"

"Annabeth Chase. I call you every day. I'm Minerva's daughter. I was hoping I could speak to her; this is important and-"

"-Right, okay – you call us every day, you say?"

"Yes, that's right. You've literally spoken to me every single day for the last year-"

"-uh-huh, sure, let me just look through our records to find proof of this..."

"What? No. That's not important. I just want to speak to my Mother, Minerva. Minerva Metis."

"Ms Metis is busy at the moment."

"That's what you always say. I was hoping you could tell me when she's available. Perhaps you could arrange a time when she could call me back, or I could come in-"

"-We don't do in-person meetings here."

"But this isn't a meeting, she's my Mother."

"Uh-huh..."

"At least get her to call me back. My number is-"

"-I'm sorry, we can't take your number either. Ms Metis responds only to email-"

"-Right, but I've tried to message her business email at least a thousand times by now and she hasn't responded. Could you perhaps give me her personal email instead?"

"Ah, I'm afraid I can't be giving out personal information over the phone."

"Then let me come in, in-person-"

"-No can do, remember?"

"Well you've got to give me something. She's my Mother. I just want to speak to my Mother."

"Well how about I jot down your name and pass on a message to her as soon as her schedule clears up?"

"You've said that before. And I don't see why you would need to – I'm her daughter."

"Uh-huh, okay, well it looks like we're in a bit of a stalemate right now, aren't we? What is it you would like me to do?"

"Get the phone to my Mother so that I can talk to her, please."

"Right, well, let's see... I've jotted down your name on my notepad here – Annabeth, is it – and I'll call you back when Ms Metis is available. Thank you very much for your call today, I hope you have a wonderful morning..."

"No, wait, you've said this before, I-"

"-This has been Kady Miller, Olympia & Metis Corporations, happy to be of service."

The phone cut off. I sat there in silence for a moment.

"Of service? Of service? Service? You weren't of fucking service – you never fucking are!" I shouted into the phone, feeling an urge to launch it across the room. I sat down at the end of my bed, controlling my breathing, and keeping my hands still on my lap so that, as the seconds ticked by, my emotions were controlled. Don't feel sad, don't feel angry or disappointed – don't cry, don't rage.

"Good job, Annabeth – it looks like those breathing exercises are really helping," Chiron wheeled into the room, pulling up beside of me. I smiled faintly.

"Thank you, I needed them."

"I take it the phone call didn't go well?" He asked softly.

I shook my head. "Better than most days, actually. Usually she just hangs up before I can even say too much. This time she actually pretended to be paying attention to me. But it's fine, I'll just call tomorrow."