Epilogue

Annabeth POV, six days before graduation:

I stood at the intersection of Water and Pine, just around the corner from Wall Street. Cars drove past me at a terrifying speed, and I tried not to remember the night that still haunts me to this day. Today was sunny, not dark and rainy. Today the roads were busy, not empty apart from that one black car marked with ATLANTIS on it's side. Today I was alone, Thalia was worlds away, and her final words "fine, I'll do it for you, and we'll be brave together" were just a distant memory.

But, just like that day, I did not have her bravery. So I turned away from my Mother's building once more and marched all the way home again. The sun was sinking by the time I made it to my front door. Defeated, deflated, disappointed - I couldn't find the right word for what I felt.

Chiron was waiting for me. I tried to act casual as I entered the living room.

"Hey," I muttered.

"Out with friends?" He asked, a knowing edge to his voice.

"Yeah, Piper and I were just doing some last minute shopping for our vaca-"

"-Piper and Reyna came round an hour ago to ask if you were free later," he interrupted. "I told them you were busy."

"Busy?" I replied, better to change focus than acknowledge the lie I was caught in.

"Talking to me," he said. I sat down heavily on our couch. "You went to your Mother's work again."

Not a question; he already knew.

"I thought I could make it through the front doors this time," I admitted.

"And?"

"I didn't even make it across the street."

Chiron sighed and wheeled towards me. Not an element of judgement or even disappointment in his eyes. I felt ashamed, suddenly. This man was giving me everything – being the Father figure I so desperately needed – and I was still caught up over a Mother who had long ago disowned me.

"You know, from the moment I laid eyes on you, my Child, I knew you were one of the strongest people I had ever met," he smiled softly.

"And now?" I hesitated to ask.

"I still do. More so now than ever before."

I laughed bitterly. "Oh really? A girl that can't even enter the building where her own Mother works-"

"-You use your strength for a great many things, my Dear. But a person cannot expect to be strong in everything they do. Look at Orpheus, who could not trust the God of the Dead and dared to glance at his wife before his final step. Look at Achilles, who let ego, and perhaps his love for Patroclus, abduct him from a life beyond the war. Look, even, at Hercules – the strongest hero to ever live – who killed his sons in a spur of madness."

"This sounds morbid," I tried to joke.

"My point being, the strongest and brightest of us have to deal with a great wealth of expectation placed upon their shoulders, and none is greater than the expectation one gives themself. You eat away at yourself – you blame yourself – because you cannot face your Mother. This does not make you weak. Perhaps, instead, it makes you wise."

I looked up at him slowly, realization dawning on me.

"You don't want me to see my Mother. You think it's a bad idea," I accused.

He hesitated. "I do." Chiron had never been one to lie.

"But why?" I deflected.

"I could ask you the same question," he replied. "I love you deeply, Annabeth, and I have watched you grow into the incredible person you are today. I adore and understand everything you do, but not this. Never this. Why do you want to see her?"