Chapter Eighteen: Homecoming

Annabeth POV:

"Can't I pretend I'm dating Nico?" I joked, staring between the two of them. "It would make more sense than you, Reyna."

"Nu-uh, he's my date," Reyna giggled, grabbing Nico by the arm.

"But people know that you're ace-"

"-And you should have said yes to Luke when he asked you, if you're so desperate for a date," Nico pointed out.

I narrowed my eyes. "Not that desperate."

"I don't get it," Nico shook his head. "Luke's hot."

"He's also not her type" Reyna answered for me.

"Oh, and what's my type?" I questioned.

"Anyone that isn't attracted to you, which just so happens to be no one," she smirked. "Face it, Annie, you're unattainable; Luke asked you out and you recoiled; Octavian asked you out five times last year and you told him each time that you'd rather throw yourself in a volcano; Ethan wrote you poems and you reported him to the Principal; and that one time that Leo asked you on a date, you refused to speak to him until he got over his crush. I'm beginning to believe your type is simply 'people that hate you'."

"I'm not sure about that last part, but you might have a point - remember that one time that Charles gave me a flower in seventh grade and I got Thalia to push him away?" I laughed at the memory... and then my face dropped.

I sighed and looked out of the car window, watching the city lights pass by. I felt Reyna's hand on mine and looked back at her.

"How are you feeling... about tonight?" She asked quietly.

"I, um, I've been better," I admitted. "I almost kind of wish Piper hadn't agreed to go with Jason, just so she could come with me instead, you know? Sorry, that's bad of me to say, especially because he's probably feeling worse than me right now."

Reyna and Nico exchanged a look. I frowned.

"Um, yeah, about Jason and Piper..." Nico began. The car stopped suddenly, interrupting him. There was a knock on the window and the door swung open. Frank was waiting for us.

"There you guys are!" He beamed. "We've been waiting for you!"

Frank looked handsome in his black suit and golden bowtie. He had recently cut his hair and he looked clean shaven. He also had the biggest grin I had ever seen on his face every time he stared over at Hazel, who looked beautiful in her golden dress. The two of them made for an extremely attractive couple, and they could hardly take their eyes off each other. It was adorable.

"Waiting for me?" I asked, taking his hand as he helped me onto the curb. I realised that the others were standing close by – Hazel in gold, Katie and Travis in matching emerald, Leo in bright red and Connor in maroon, Silena in pink and Charles in blue, Chris in white and Clarisse in a dark suit. They all looked amazing, and they were all staring at me. "What's up?"

"You didn't think we'd let you go in there alone, did you?" Hazel took my arm. "Tonight's... different, Annie. You need to be with us."

I smiled at all of them gratefully, forcing myself not to cry. My heart felt warm.

"Thank you," I whispered back at her, unable to speak louder. "This means a lot. I-"

A few cars down from my group of friends, a taxi pulled up to the curb and out walked Grover in a light blue suit. He reached behind him, and Juniper appeared, looking ethereal in her long-flowing green dress, pale skin and flower crown sitting delicately over dark hair. Without thinking, I let go of Hazel and made my way towards Grover, voice catching in my throat.