Chapter Thirty-Five: Scenes From an Italian Restaurant

Nico POV:

"Will you please relax? Your Father loves me," Will pointed out, adjusting the collar of my shirt which felt too tight. I huffed and stepped away from him.

"That's exactly why I'm nervous. I think he loves you more than me," I replied.

"You're probably not wrong," he smirked. "He certainly loves me more than Frank."

I slapped his chest playfully, but kept my hands on his shirt so that I could hold him close. "Shhhh, don't say that too loudly, Hazel might hear you."

"There's no way! We're not even in the apartment yet and-"

"-And I still hear everything," Hazel gloated, opening the door proudly. "Although, I will admit, you're not wrong. Dad has a weird soft spot for you, Will, that we just can't explain."

"Yeah, and nothing I can do can make him change his mind about me," Frank grumbled, appearing by Hazel's side. "I once even offered to give him a massage and he hated it."

Hazel's eyes widened as Will and mine's mouths fell open.

"Yes, well, Sweetie, we both agreed that it was a weird offer to make," Hazel blushed. "And that you wouldn't bring it up in front of anyone again."

Frank's ears turned bright red as soon as Will and I burst out laughing. Drawn towards the sound of laughter, my Dad appeared in the doorway. Dressed in his fanciest clothes that he tried to pass off as casual – cuffed, ripped black jeans, a silver chain used as a belt, loose fitting shirt with hardly any buttons done up, a long black kimono draped elegantly over his shoulders, more silver chains hanging from his neck and what looked like a hundred skull rings on his fingers, and brown sandals which allowed us to see his nicely painted nails. I looked up at him, unimpressed. He looked like he was trying to dress younger than his age. When his eyes fell on Will, he smiled broadly and opened his arms wide, exposing his tattooed chest. "My boy!" He exclaimed. "Good to see you, get in here!"

Will chuckled, bounced forwards and fell into my Father's embrace. My Dad's long hair looked strikingly dark against Will's golden ringlets. Frank looked like he might try to awkwardly join the hug, but Hazel held onto his wrist to stop him from embarrassing himself even further.

I coughed irritably. "Hello, Father, your actual boy is also here."

"What?" My Dad grumbled against Will's shoulder. When he stepped away, he saw me and laughed. "Oh, right, yeah – as if that isn't anything new. I see you every week, Nico."

"You haven't seen me in two months," I complained, but hugged him all the same.

"Which means I haven't seen Will in two months either and – oh, look at that," he clapped his hands together excitedly, which made an odd rattling noise because of all the rings, when he noticed the present that had appeared in Will's hands. He must have recognised the box, because he looked delighted. "He brought his Mom's apple pie! That's why he's my favourite!"

"Dad!" Hazel and I protested at the same time. Frank's forehead had turned a lovely shade red.

"Can we come in?" I said, if only to diffuse the awkwardness.

"Yes, yes, come on in! We'll have drinks in the garden, come on through!" Dad exclaimed excitedly, stepping aside to let Will and I enter. "Frank, take their jackets."

Again, Hazel had to hold on to Frank's wrist, holding the eager man back to let him know he didn't have to.

"Can I, um, take your jacket, Sir?" Frank offered.

"Sir? Don't call me Sir, boy, call me Mr Mo-"

"-Call him Hades," Hazel cut in, sending a stony look in our Dad's direction. "He's only messing with you, Frank."