Chapter Forty: At the Airport

Percy POV:

The first time I saw Annabeth Chase I thought: wow, she's perfect.

I've thought the same thing ever since, even in those months we tried to hate each other. Even in those months that we dated, and the years we spent apart, and the time we've had with each other now. Wow, she's perfect. Always with Annabeth, she takes my breath away – like each time I'm seeing her for the first time. When I was younger I remember thinking how cool it would be to spend forever like that, waking up with her by my side and thinking about just how beautiful and perfect she is. I hoped, now, that the possibility of that happening might actually be a reality.

I waited for her at the airport, no idea whether she'd show up. Because if she didn't show up I knew that my forever was set, and she'd have chosen not to be in it. I wouldn't ask again – couldn't. This moment was our always or our final goodbye.

Is she making her way towards me now? Is she here? Or worse, is she in the airport, boarding a plane with James, a man that she thought could love her just as much as I, although I knew otherwise.

I took a sip from my coffee and noticed my hands were shaking. You should have done more, said more, been better to her. Why did you waste your days here, acting as a friend? You should have given her everything she deserves, instead you're here wondering whether you said the right thing, not knowing how she feels. 

I had never felt so stressed.

A couple of teens ran past my table, giggling as they chased each other. A memory came back to me, I smiled at the thought.

"You've got this, Annabeth!" I called up at her. She looked down at me worriedly.

"The physics just doesn't seem logical!" She frowned. "Are you sure I cant tape the board to my feet? It's going to come out from under me."

Grover and I laughed. "The board won't do that if you lean into it enough," I reassured her.

"This isn't safe!" She complained.

"You've got this, Annie, it's all about trusting the board," Grover cheered.

"But I don't trust the board!" She groaned. Grover and I ignored her and started chanting her name. She stood at the top of a ramp, with my skateboard propped under her feet, ready for her to lean forwards and take off. She didn't seem impressed. But if there's one thing I knew about Annabeth, it was that she didn't back down from a challenge, and we wouldn't be leaving this park until she got down this ramp in one piece.

"Annabeth, Annabeth, Annabeth!" Grover and I cheered. When I looked up again she had set her face determinedly, no longer looking scared. My smile grew, and on the fifth "Annabeth" she took a deep breath in and leaned forwards, pushing at the top of her board so that it would go down the ramp. She looked like a natural. She kept her feet steady and her arms level. She flew down the ramp in style, coming to a rest just in front of Grover and me.

Grover cheered first, jumping up and giving Annabeth a high five. "See, you're a natural! How easy was that?"

"Terrifying!" She laughed. "Don't make me do that again. Although..." she smirked at me. "I was pretty good, wasn't I?"

"Ah, I've seen better," I shrugged teasingly. Her face dropped.

"Shut up, I'm a pro!" She moved to jokingly push me, but I dodged out of her way and chuckled. "Oh, you're dead, Seaweed Brain!"