chapter 28- The truth that ended it all

***Hello, my loyal readers. I'm back, and with the chapter that you have all been waiting for. The moment of truth is here. I hope you like it. Leave your comments below. Share your opinions and ideas. Please show your support, like, and follow. Sending love, MMF***

"It all started a few weeks back. The beginning of the school year, to be exact. "Alya was irritated after observing a routine chat between you and Adrien. She wanted us to break our links with Adrien for good. She was convinced he would never change, but I refused to believe it. I was positive that the sweet and loving Adrien was still alive and well inside him. I saw the real him every time you came near.  He was simply too excellent at concealing his emotions," Nino spoke, his voice faint and almost fearful, making the bluenette feel uneasy.

Marinette sat quietly listening to her friend's truths. With each word Nino said, her heart beat faster and faster. Marinette knew the narrative wouldn't end well because of his expression and voice, but she hoped for the best anyhow.

"As you can see, I was well-versed in the entire story. I was aware of Adrien's feelings for you when we were younger, and I was aware of part of the cause for his transformation. Marinette, I was also aware of what had occurred the night of the party,"   Nino admitted it. Marinette gasped in surprise and embarrassment. She had been under the impression that no one else was aware of what had occurred that night. She kept the anguish hidden since she thought she didn't have someone to talk to about it, but it turned out she had been wrong.

"I wasn't sure what had happened the next morning, but I knew Adrien had been so intoxicated the night before that he didn't recognize me. It didn't surprise me that the next day he couldn't recall what had happened. That's when we noticed him kissing Kagami. I recall you bolting out the door, Alya chasing you down, and me confronting him about his behavior."

 "That's when he stated he was doing it for you because his father was threatening you. He altered himself to protect you, Marinette." Nino continued, knowing that this was not what she wanted to hear, but he felt compelled to tell her the complete tale so she could comprehend how they had arrived at their current location. He could only hope that after this, she would forgive them.

The DJ really didn't want to have this conversation, but he cared too much about the bluenette to let her keep lying to herself.

As he spoke, Marinette closed her eyes. It was all so overwhelming. She was experiencing a range of emotions. She was grateful that he kept her secret, but she was enraged by the betrayal. She was embarrassed that he knew about that night, but she was also hurt to learn the truth about Adrien's rapid transformation.

Despite the fact that she was overwhelmed with emotions, she remained silent.

"He started dating random girls after that as if he was trying to prove something to his father. He tried to convince everyone that he was unconcerned, although the truth was that his actions were harming him. He tried his hardest to stay away from you, and he succeeded. Instead, he'd phone me to inquire about you and find out what you were up to."

"That is until he discovered he could no longer do it. He wouldn't leave you alone any longer. He was also certain he had made his point to his father, but by the time he recognized it, it was too late. He returned, pleading for forgiveness, but you refused to forgive him. That's when he lost it entirely. Adrien then became the person he pretended to be the past few months. Best known as the heartless Agreste."

Marinette let her tears flow freely when she heard her friend's words. Did this imply that Adrien's behavior was entirely her fault? Adrien's issues were caused by her. His father would never have threatened her if she hadn't become his friend, and he wouldn't have made the mistakes that led her to believe he was horrible. He would never have become the ruthless man he had become if she hadn't pushed him away and listened to him the day he came to her with an apology. She was to blame for everything that had gone wrong in their lives.