Chapter 45- Worries and Secrets

Something wasn't right with his lady. Adrien was absolutely certain of it. Even when she pretended to be alright. Even when no one else noticed. Adrien most certainly could.

When he tried to talk to her about it, he always got the same response: "Adrien, everything is OK with me. I'm simply a little worn out. Please don't be concerned about me." Don't be concerned. How could he be unconcerned? He cared about her, so it was natural for him to worry about her.

Adrien was absorbed in his thoughts as he sat in his bed. He wondered if he had messed up somehow. He was almost sure that the bluenette was cutting their time shorter than usual. She had refused to participate in his photoshoots, claiming that she needed to finish her designs or that she had plans with Luka, but Adrien was certain that these were just excuses. Only in class or when he begged her to let him help her finish her creations did they spend time together.

No, he wasn't insane. There was unquestionably a problem.

Marinette was behaving strangely. She was a little more jittery than accustomed. She was more reticent than usual, preferring to spend her time alone or with Alya. She even tried to stay away from physical touch as much as she could.

Not to mention her persistent sickness and many trips to the bathroom.

Adrien's leg bounced up and down nervously. The blonde hoped that he was wrong and his princess was alright. But deep inside, he knew that was not true. He had observed a difference in her health a while ago, but it wasn't until a week and a half ago that everything changed.

The more he thought about it, the more he realized that Marinette began to change following her visit to the doctor.

-Flashback-

Adrien ran out of the classroom the second his phone vibrated, and a picture of his princess lit up his phone.

"Hey, M'lady, how was your appointment? Is everything alright?"

There was silence on the line, and Adrien began to worry.

"Princess?"

"Um, hey, kitty. Sorry. I-" she hesitated.

"Yeah, it- it went good. I am alright," Marinette lied. Adrien's brows furrowed, and he could sense that his princess had just lied. There was sadness and worry in her voice. He was almost sure she had been crying.

"Princess, you are lying. I know you are. Please, tell me, what's wrong?"

Silence filled the line again. Adrien wanted to run to where she was and hug her. He wanted to know what was wrong, but how, if she clearly wasn't going to tell him?

"Princess?"

"Nothing, kitty. It's nothing. I am alright, I promise."

Adrien was not all relieved to hear that. He felt as if she was hiding something from him, but he would have to wait for now.

"A-are you sure you are alright?" he asked again.

"Yeah, I promise. I was actually calling to let you know that I would be staying at Alya's tonight. I didn't want you to worry."

"Oh, okay, princess."

There was another moment of silence.

"Mari?"

"hmm"

"Are you sure everything is fine? You're not lying to me, are you?"

Marinette gulped, nervously answering.

"I-I am a little overwhelmed, but I will be okay. I swear. The doctor just said I needed some rest and to stop stressing. That was all taking a toll on my health. H-he gave me some medicine to help with nausea but said I'd be fine soon. Don't worry, Chaton."