The One Where it's Final

I had finally released my shield, and Neal stepped up to me. I could feel the heat radiating off his body. The current between us shifted, sliding around like our energies were mixing. 

The feel of him so close was intoxicating. Every piece of me wanted to reach out and close the distance, but I knew if I did that, then it would all be over. 

The burning desire won out, and his arms wrapped around her. His lips were already on hers before she had a chance to react. 

I wrapped my legs around Neal's waist, even though a part of me knew I shouldn't. 

His hands cupped my bottom and he pushed us up against the tree. I felt the jolt go through my body. 

The desire from the bond pulsed through us, like a flaming dragon weaving between the two of us until we were completely engulfed in his flame. 

Neal slowly traced one hand along my arm, his finger leaving a scalding trail. A shiver ran through my body and the desire swelled up inside. 

A soft moan escaped my throat. 

No, this wasn't right. 

I put both hands on Neal's chest, separating our mouths by just our breath which came in shallow gasps. 

"Neal, listen." 

He slowly slid me to the ground as I started speaking. 

"I get it, I felt it, but I wish this went both ways. I wish you could feel what I'm feeling. I chose you. Despite everything that has happened between our families, I chose you." I crossed my arms over my stomach. "Your solution was for me to become your consort." 

I let out a short laugh. 

"Cyn-"

I held up a hand to stop him. "This may be a wild concept, considering you're in line to become the Alpha, but you don't always get it all. You don't get to make peace by combining with the most powerful pack in our area, and have your mate as your play thing on the side. I don't deserve that. I deserve someone who will appreciate me for who I am, who will appreciate all of me, and if that can't be you, then I will be moving on." 

The fact that my voice hadn't wavered once was a miracle. I had wanted to break down the moment I said his name. 

Apparently Neal felt similarly. 

Tears glistened in his eyes, not enough to fall over the edge, but enough to know they were there. 

My chest ached, but I couldn't give in. I had to stand firm. I deserved to stand strong and hold on for someone who would 

"Please." His voice was a whisper. He didn't need to drop his shields for me to feel his desperation. 

I shook my head. "I can't believe I'm doing this, but you have 3 days. By sunset at the end of this week, if you haven't decided to choose me then I am gone."

Neal tried to reach for my hand, but I pulled back. 

"Where will you go?" His words trembled. 

I shrugged. "I don't know, but I won't stay here unless I know I'm wanted." 

I turned and walked away. I couldn't stay there with him. I needed my space. I needed to prepare for my next step, for the worst case. 

I needed to prepare for the fact that my mate didn't want me. 

**********

A tad shorter chapter this go around, but I wanted to get a quick upload for all of my lovely readers!