The One With the Choice

"No way." Everything seemed to come back to life, the wind brushed my skin and the song of the birds floated through the trees. The barrier was down. 

"Why not?" Abbi stepped back again, taking a seat on the ground. 

"Abbi, you know what they did to my father. Why would I want to take his place?" 

"Because like it or not, this is still your pack unless you plan to leave. There are still threats out there. We had a Mentalist for a reason. Those reasons don't just go away because we don't have anyone anymore."

"Okay, but we haven't had anyone since before I was born and we're all still here. So I think the pack will be just fine without me as their protector." 

"You don't know that! Just consider it, will you? I mean you don't have to do anything now. Just figure out what you can do and think about it." 

Abbi's frustration started to leak out, closing in on me. I wished that for once she could feel my emotions. To know just how deeply the idea scared me. What she was suggesting wasn't just something you do on a whim, it's something you do knowing that each day could be your last. You had to be willing to lay it all down for the people you protected knowing that you could go up against something stronger than you and that you could lose it all. 

"She's right." His voice came from a distance. 

Neal stepped forward. 

"Why does it seem like you're everywhere I go today?" I tried to make the words sharp, annoyed. They just sounded small. 

"That would be because you have given off a magical signature strong enough to put everyone on high alert twice today. Abbi is right, we could use you. Your abilities are untapped, and they still have everyone ready to go on my command. I don't know what you're doing, but we could really use someone like you."

Abbi and I both stood up. 

"Key word is "use," right? Because this pack sure doesn't seem to appreciate the protectors that it's had in the past." The words were like venom. The only thing that kept me together was the thought of what they did to my father. 

"What happened wasn't right. What my father did to Micah Everhart was wrong, but it wasn't a decision I made. I believe those who protect us deserve the same respect. There are dangers out there that we have managed to keep at bay for many years, but that doesn't mean we will be able to forever. We really could use you if you have more in your arsenal than that wall you had before."

All I could feel was sincerity coming from him, but how could I trust that? He was the raised by the same man who committed those acts that Neal now rejected. 

"Why haven't you said anything before?" I tilted my head to the side a bit, taking a step forward to see if I could read more off him. 

"What was there to say? You never seemed like you wanted to talk to anyone but Abbi, and what could I possibly have to say when my father is the reason yours is no longer here?" 

If it was possible, I felt even less than before. 

"How are you doing that?" I asked again, taking another step forward. 

"Doing what?" Neal looked sincerely puzzled. 

"How are you giving nothing away? I feel nothing from you. I usually feel every emotion that someone has, but I get nothing from you. Very little if anything."

"We've had Mentalists in this pack for generations. In my family we teach emotional control to keep a level head while ruling, and as a courtesy to any Mentalist we have so we don't overwhelm them. I just figured it would make you feel more comfortable."

His response took me back. 

"As I said though, we really could use your assistance if you wanted to help us in the future. But I understand if you won't." 

"I'll keep that in mind."

Neal nodded. "Okay. If you could do something for me?" 

I stared blankly at him. A million thoughts rushed through my mind about what he could possibly want. If he was going to say anything about the night before. 

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. "If you're going to be practicing this stuff, do you think you could just give me a heads up so I can let everyone know there's nothing to worry about?"

I reached out for the paper and our fingers brushed, sending that warm sensation like an electric current up my arm. 

"Sure." The word was barely a whisper, and I couldn't take my eyes off his. 

Neal's lips pulled up into a half smile. "Thanks."

He turned, walking away quickly, leaving me staring after him. 

"I think he likes you," Abbi whispered, nudging me. 

I'd forgotten she was there. 

"What? No. He doesn't like me. He likes the idea of having a powerful thing to protect everyone, but he doesn't like me."

"Sure, keep telling yourself that. He just gave you his phone number."

"Yeah, so he doesn't have to run out here every time I'm practicing to see what's going on."

"And he touched you." Her voice was sing-song. 

"Not on purpose. It was barely a brush."

"Yeah, but you felt it didn't you?"

I sighed. "Yes... I felt it."

Abbi jumped up and down. "She felt it, she felt it." She was full on dancing and singing. 

"I said it before, and I'll say it again. Just because we might be mates doesn't mean that we are going to be together. His father is still..."

"But he's not like that. He even said so!"

"Just because he said something doesn't mean that's actually how he feels, Abbi. He has everything locked down tight. I can't get a reading off him. I can barely get anything from him when I'm trying to read him."

"He said he did it to make you feel comfortable though."

"Do you know what else it's good for, Abbi? Keeping secrets. Do you honestly think they learned how to keep everything locked for the comfort of their Mentalist? The learned how to do it to keep stuff from their Mentalist."

Abbi groaned. "You always see the worst in people, don't you?"

"And you always see the best. It's why we're perfect friends."

Abbi rolled her eyes. "Are we going to practice or what?"

I picked up the book. "Fine. Let's see what we have in here."

*******

Thank you for continuing to read this story. I've been working double time at my real job due to the pandemic, so I haven't gotten much of a chance to write, but here's another chapter.

If you enjoyed, feel free to press that little star button, and please leave me a comment. Don't be afraid to interact with the story as you go!

I appreciate you all. 

Stay safe and happy reading.