The One with the Confession

I hadn't told Abbi anything that happened. I hadn't even sorted everything out myself over the past fifteen hours. 

I'd just had my first kiss. 

With the Alpha's son. 

Who was my mate. 

Abbi knocked on the door and I went outside. We sat on the porch and I thanked the goddess that my mom had already left for the morning. 

"Please tell me something happened," Abbi blurted as soon as we sat down. 

I cleared my throat. How in the world was I going to say this. 

"Oh my goddess, something did happen! Spill. Everything." Abbi reached out, grabbing my arm tightly and shaking me. 

"We kissed."

Abbi squealed. "Was it like, just a small kiss, a big kiss, a passionate kiss?"

I pressed my lips tightly together and nodded slightly. "Yes."

Abbi squealed again. 

I recapped how it had started, which was exactly what she knew would start it. I told her every single detail that she was dying to know. 

"And my dream last night-"

"Hold up. You had a dream about him last night?" Abbi wiggled her eyebrows "Was it one of those kinds of dreams?" 

I felt the heat flood to my cheeks and I looked away. 

"Oh. My. Goddess. You totally had one of those dreams about Neal Stryker. So, what now?"

"What do you mean what now, Abbi? I don't know what now."

"Like are you two going to... you know? Or are you going to be the Mentalist for the pack?"

"Whoa. Slow down. You are getting so far ahead of everything. I have no idea about any of this. It was one kiss, or rather one make out. We couldn't even have a full conversation about it so I don't even know how he feels."

"Oh I'm sure you know how he feels." Abbi wiggled her eyebrows again. 

I rolled my eyes. "You know what I mean. And as for being the Mentalist, that is a huge decision that I haven't even really thought about yet, let alone talked to my mom about. I would literally be putting my life on the line for this pack, and they haven't really given me any reason to do that in the first seventeen years of my life."

"But I'm part of this pack. Your mate is part of this pack. That's two reasons."

"Abbi, you know I'll protect you no matter what. I don't have to be this pack's Mentalist in order to do that. And I have a feeling that I can't be the pack's Mentalist and Neal's mate given the laws of the pack."

"Okay, but he's the Alpha's son. He is literally next in line to take over the pack, and when he does that he can change whatever pack laws he wants to. He already said he didn't agree with what happened to your father. You can't hold that against him, Cyn."

I kicked a rock on the ground. "No, but I can hold it against his father, and his father is the current Alpha. Neal is going to Merge before he takes his place as Alpha, and do you honestly believe that his father would allow a Mentalist mutt to Merge with his son? This is assuming that Neal and I even want to."

Abbi stood up, tapping her foot at me. "Look, you're obviously feeling some type of way about the guy. He's obviously feeling some type of way about you."

"Yes, Abs, it's called a bond for a reason. We have chemistry together."

"Okay, so maybe you two should just take time to explore it. Look. other than me and our parents, you know very little about practically everyone in the pack, including Neal. Maybe you should just take some time to get to know the guy. Do some more practicing with him, he obviously wanted to be a part of it before. See where things go. Worry about everything else later. Who knows, you both may decide that the chemistry isn't enough and that you should go your separate ways anyway and then no harm no foul."

"And what happens if we decide that we really do want to go all in and his father forbids it?" 

"Then you will figure something out together. But you can't let an uncertain future dictate your now. You may have a lot of abilities, but premonitions aren't one of them. We already checked, remember?" Abbi smiled. 

I smiled and shook my head. Abbi was the only one who could possibly talk me into trying just about anything. 

"You know," Abbi started, tapping her chin, "if you are going to consider being the pack's Mentalist there is some other training you're going to have to do."

"Like what?"

"While you need to sharpen your powers, you also need to sharpen your body." Abbi flashed her arms around, pretending to be a ninja. "Strength, speed, agility, you're going to need to work on all of it. You're faster and stronger than your typical Mentalist thanks to your gorgeous mother's genes, but think of your potential."

"Maybe I should wait until I decide before I go all out with the training. I still need to get a feel for the abilities that I do have."

"Nope. Not acceptable. By the time you finally accept it, you'll be behind. You need to do it all at once. And do you honestly believe that you're just going to choose not to be the pack's Mentalist? Cyn, there is no way you're going to go through all this work to fully learn your abilities and then do nothing with them. You and I both know that you're going to help this pack."

I crossed my arms. "What if I found a different pack?"

"Are you really trying to start a fight right now, Cynthia?" 

I let out a groan and laid back. "Abbi, the point is I really don't know. I'm learning this because it's part of my dad's legacy. This power that I have and these books are all that I have left of him. I don't know if I'm going to continue to use it, but I wanted to figure it out and gain as much control over it as I possibly can. I have absolutely no clue where I'm going to be in one, two, ten years from now. I might be here, I might decide to be the pack's Mentalist, but I might also decide to move on somewhere else and start over with a pack that could use the help. One that hasn't spent the past seventeen years judging me based on my parents and a stupid law we've had since the beginning."

Abbi sat back down next to me. "I'm sorry I'm pushing, Cyn. I just want so much for you. I've been with you this whole time. I want happiness for you."

I sat back up and faced my friend. "I get it, and thank you. But this isn't something that we're going to be able to figure out overnight, okay?"

Abbi nodded. 

"Now, as for training today-" My phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out and looked down at the screen at the name attached to the text message. Neal. 

"As for training today you're going to work with someone else and give things a shot?" Abbi wiggled her eyebrows. 

I read the words on the screen asking if I had time to meet up today. 

"I suppose I could see where he stands."

"Deal!" Abbi smiled and gave me a tight hug.