The One Where They Merge

Hal turned to the pit behind him that had been used for every pack ceremony going back generations. With one small gesture, the pit erupted into flame. 

Neal and his father both knelt down on their respective sides. 

There were only two times an Alpha ever knelt in front of the pack, and this ceremony was it.

"We thank our Alpha for his dedication and devotion to our well being, for his vigilant watch as he countered any threat that came our way. So is the way of the Alpha: our protector, our healer, our guiding arrow. Guiding his pack and fighting for his pack until he no longer can, or when he knows it is time for another." Hal placed his hands on either side of the larger crown before removing it and setting it on a purple, satin pillow. 

As the crown rested into the fabric, a chain of sparks emerged from the fire, moving down until it ignited a torch. The sparks continued as they moved down the line, igniting torch after torch, surrounding the crowd and stage. 

"The cycle continues tonight as Alpha Stryker passes his title down to his son." Hal was standing behind Neal at this point. He placed a hand on either side of the crown Neal was wearing, before lifting it off his head and placing it on a silver, satin pillow. 

"This pack has been presented with the opportunity to challenge, and none have come forth. This has been taken as acceptance of your new Alpha." Hal moved to stand in front of Neal. 

I could begin to feel the eyes and attention from the crowd as they strayed from Neal and center stage over to me. I tried to push them aside now that I didn't have to worry about a challenger. I wanted to be able to enjoy this moment for Neal, even if it was all for the pack and his father.

"Neal Stryker, do you swear on the goddess who grants you this gift to watch over this pack, protect it and defend it against all threats whether outside or in?"

"I do."

"Do you swear on the goddess to make decisions only with the best interest of the future of this pack?"

"I do."

"And do you swear to leave this pack in a better place than when you inherit it?"

Neal nodded once, bowing his head low. "I do."

The sparks had come nearly all the way back around to the other side, enveloping the pack in the circle of protection and within the new hope as the cycle continues. 

As those flames neared the last torch, Hal picked up the larger crown from the purple pillow and placed it atop Neal's head. 

"As our circle draws close, we pull in all good fortunes and well wishes for our new Alpha as he guides us into the next chapter. I give you all Alpha Neal Stryker."

Neal stood from the ground and the entire pack erupted in cheers and pack salutes. Tommy clapped Neal on the back once and grabbed his shoulder firmly. 

I smiled as I watched the entire pack there for him in that moment. I had never had a moment anything like that. I'd never had a moment like the one I was about to experience, either, for that matter. 

Neal started to make his way up front and the crowd began to quiet. The last hues of red and orange were leaving the sky as night began to settle in. 

"Thank you all for joining my family as we enter this new stage of our pack. I am excited to see what our future holds. Thank you for trusting me with this. I know there have been rumors going around the pack, but I want to put all of that aside for one night as we enjoy this new direction with another ceremony."

Everyone started murmuring and eyes darted my way again. I had a very strong feeling I had become part of the rumors.

"To do that, I want to tell you all the truth."