The One Where She Recovers

"Think about it, Neal." I paused and took a deep breath. "We have a war looming over our heads and now the pack's best chance at a weapon is the biggest liability."

"You are not a liability," he cut me off. 

"I am though. I can't control myself. We have no idea if I can shift under my own power, or if I would die without assistance again. How can I be of any use to anyone in this state? If war comes knocking tomorrow, who's to say that the adrenaline and emotions don't try to trigger another change?"

Neal locked my face in his hands and pushed me back onto the bed. He leaned over, his tall frame towering over me as his eyes pierced into mine. 

My skin prickled and sang and I felt like I was on fire. Just a small fire, a slow burn. 

"We have no idea when this war is coming. It could be tomorrow, next week, or even next month, and we have no idea how quickly you will learn about your wolf side. We have no idea if this is going to strengthen, weaken, or have no effect on your other abilities. We are in uncharted waters. 

"The only thing we do know for certain, is that you are a half Wolf, half Mentalist in full standing on both sides, and we will be facing this together. I can call in some of the best teachers for controlling your wolf. They travel the world assisting Alpha children. I can have someone here as early as this evening."

My throat burned and I swallowed back a sob. 

Neal adjusted himself before lowering himself down on top of me, his entire body pressing along mine. Solid. Warm. 

The weight of his body helped keep me grounded. 

"It's okay," he whispered as he stroked my hair. "Your emotions are going to be heightened while you adjust to your new normal. You're going to cry, laugh, and most definitely going to want to kill me. More than once."

I laughed into the side of Neal's neck and one of the sobs slipped free. I buried my face deep into the warmth of him. The feel of his skin pressed against mine brushing along that beast deep within me. 

I felt that same beast deep inside Neal rise up toward my own. 

Neal pulled back slightly.

"That was weird," I said. 

"You felt it too?"

I nodded. 

"What was that?" Neal asked. 

"I don't know, but I have an idea."

"What's that?"

I pulled Neal's face back down to mine until our lips brushed lightly. I raised my neck up, pressing mine firmer to his. That same feeling rose up inside of me, a slumbering beast roiling deep within the pit inside me, reaching out for Neal as she woke up. 

His beast responded, rising and making its way to me. 

I could feel her reaching up and slipping up and out of my mouth, reaching into him. His beast responded as they twisted and twirled together. 

I pushed Neal away, breathless. 

"I think it's another side effect. Our souls becoming one in the Merge, me actually having a wolf in this whole mated pair thing."

"Is this what you meant about different?" Neal asked, amazement in his voice. 

"This and so much more." I thought I had some of the perks of being part wolf before, but it was nothing compared to this.

"Well that is one difference we will have to explore more later," Neil said with a growl in his voice. His eyes flashed amber so quick that I wasn't sure if I'd only imagined it.