The One Where Abbi Agrees

Neal had gone to discuss strategy with the milites, the first in line support for the impending war, as well as discuss all preparations for tomorrow's ceremony. I had declined joining, needing time with my thoughts and to discuss everything with my best friend. Neal had insisted summoning Abbi to the home, what would be our home, after tomorrow.

I had paced the kitchen while waiting for Abbi to arrive, tension thrumming through my entire body. The knock on the door nearly tipped me over the edge of insanity. I let out a small sigh of relief when I opened the door to see my best friend's face, her entire presence carefully guarded. 

She pulled me into a tight hug, clearly sensing I needed comfort. "What is going on? You had me absolutely mad calling me here! I've never been summoned to the Alpha's home."

I ushered Abbi inside and we went to the living room, sitting on the plush couch adorned with too many decorative pillows. It almost seemed like the room was more for show than use. "I know, but Neal insisted. I think he's nervous to have me out running around at the moment."

Abi cocked her head slightly, the space between her brows wrinkled with her growing concern. "What's going on?"

I unfolded the day's events for her from what went down between the Alpha and his daughter of the Red Pine pack, the confrontation between Neal's family and us, and my invasion into Neal's father's mind. Finally, I settled on arguably the biggest turn of events. 

"You're going to marry him tomorrow?" No matter how well Abbi had become at hiding her emotions of the years, she couldn't hide her surprise. "How do you feel about this?"

I raked a hand through my hair, my fingers twisting through the strands near my scalp, trying to soothe myself and the tension inside of me. I felt like a rubber band about to snap. 

"It wasn't all that long ago you were going to leave, Cyn."

I knew it was all too true, but I'd been ready to leave because I hadn't been sure Neal had wanted me. A half wolf, half Mentalist - someone who couldn't shift, and barely had a handle on their magic - especially when he had the daughter of an Alpha ready to join him. 

"It may sound strange, Abs, but I'm not worried about binding myself to him. I am worried about making the decision based on strategic planning and necessity. I have no doubt this is the decision we would have come to eventually, but to do it now, within twenty-four hours, in order to ensure our forces are as strong as they can be," I trailed off. 

"Not exactly the romance and passion you were expecting, is it?"

Oh, there had been passion. Neal's words replayed in my head; he was willing to burn everything to the ground to be with me, he would go to war for me. And war it was about to be. 

My Alpha was out there strategizing the demise of our enemy as we spoke. The only real question I had regarding that was what role I would play. My magic could burn bright, but it also seemed to fizzle out quick. 

"Abbi, I'm terrified we made the wrong decision. What if this is the downfall of our pack?"

She grabbed my hands and squeezed tight. "If it wasn't meant to be then the goddess would not have willed it so."

Her words offered a little reassurance, and one of the knots in my stomach loosened. 

"Maybe the circumstances don't matter. All that matters is that we are together."

"Maybe." Abbi said with a shrug, but I could feel her unease coming through. 

"You just said the goddess would not have willed it if it wasn't meant to be." I pointed at her. She couldn't back track now.