The One Where it's Official

When I was dropped off back at Neal's house, he was sitting at the table shuffling papers around, lines forming between his brows as he studied them closely. 

"That looks pretty serious," I said as I sat my bag down on the edge of the table. 

Neal looked up, wiping the concentration from his face, replacing it with a smile. "Just trying to make sure everything is set." Neal pressed his palms together, resting his index fingers against his mouth. 

"It seems like there's something else going on. What is it?" I sat down next to him and placed a hand on his knee. 

"The rumors of war are spreading through the pack, and while it's looking like those rumors will stave off a challenger for the Alpha title, it is also starting to cause unrest. Especially with the transfer of power happening tonight."

I glanced at the clock. It was just after one, and the ceremonies would begin at dusk. There were just hours left. 

Neal dropped his hands before reaching out to tuck a couple loose strands of hair behind my ear. He brushed along the intricate braids that looped around my head. "You look absolutely stunning. Did you enjoy the spa?"

I smiled at him. "It was lovely. The spa, and the time with my mom and Abbi. Thank you for that."

Neal leaned in and gave me a light kiss. My heart fluttered in my chest with the brush of his lips. 

"I'm glad." He placed his hand over mine on his knee. "Have you decided who will stand with you tonight?"

"Abbi." 

Neal nodded. "I will have Tommy stand with me. He will assume the role his father has occupied with my father. He will be my second."

"This is all really happening, isn't it?" I stared at the top of the table, unable to blink. 

"Only if it's what you want, Cynthia. I don't want to push you into anything you don't want or you're not ready for."

"There isn't really much of a choice, is there? I mean, what happens if we don't go through with this?" 

Neal reached up and cupped my face, pulling it up to look at him instead of the table. "No matter the decision we make there will be uncertainties. Whether we go through with the ceremonies or we don't we are walking into uncharted territories. All I know is that there is no one I would rather go into the unknown with than you."

"How did we get here from that night at the bonfire," I whispered. 

"Through your grace, a little luck from the goddess, and me finally getting my head out of my ass."

I laughed and a tear slipped down my cheek. Neal wiped it away and smiled. 

"You're sure this is the decision you want to make? Once this is done, there will be no turning back. We will have to live with whatever happens. We have no idea what the Merge will do."

"Is the ceremony itself dangerous?" 

"There are always some risks involved in a Merge since it is the melding of two souls together. Since we are goddess chosen mates and we have an expert in Merge ceremonies, that should help negate some of the risks, but..."

"What?"

"I have spent all morning in and out of meetings, setting up strategies, making sure we have a good perimeter in place, and collecting anything and everything I can on the ceremony..."

"And?" I wanted to scream. What wasn't he saying?

"It is impossible to know what is going to happen when we perform the ceremony tonight as you're not a full wolf. The fact we are goddess chosen theoretically should pull it in our favor, but there is always a chance something bad could happen."