Chapter 7

"What the hell happened today?" Noah burst into the room, halting our laughing at something Reese said. We were sat in our pajamas on my bed telling random stories while eating popcorn. "Well, Gabriella? What happened?"

I stood from the bed, leading him out of the room. "There's this thing called knocking, Noah, you should try it." He turned to me, his expression serious.

"What happened between you and Laura?"

"Oh so that's her name. I was wondering when that would come up." His expression didn't change. "Fine, I'll tell you. I was reading my English book and she came up to me telling me to stay away from you like every high school whore in America. She was adamant on telling me the rumors were true. Like some people." I said glancing at Noah, who's face was impassive. "So I told her she was probably nothing more to you than a good lay to you. She slapped me and I snapped. There you go. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a box of chocolates with my name on it in that room and I know Reese will eat them if I don't get in there." I turned to go into my room but was stopped by Noah's hand on my arm.

"Did you hit her because she told you to stay away from me?"

"No! She called me a cowardly little girl. I showed her the real coward today." I pulled my arm from his grip, walking into my room.

Reese was sitting on the bed, hiding something behind her back. I walked over noticing the box of chocolates missing from the pile. "Reese... Where are my chocolates?" She smiled sheepishly at me. I tackled her off the bed, grabbed the chocolates from behind her.

"If that's how Laura felt when you tackled her, I feel a little bad for her." She sat up running her head.

"Nobody steals my chocolate. Ask Angela, she knew very well." I chuckled.

"Who's Angela?" Jane asked, confused.

"Oh- uh- nobody important. We should go watch a movie in the theater!" I stood with my blanket, walking out of the room. The girls followed slowly.

*~*~*~*

"We need to talk." I looked up at Alex, nodding. Reese and Jane had fallen asleep halfway through the third movie. I stood from the seat, following Alex out of the room. "I feel like you've been avoiding me." He said, sheepishly.

"No, no, I've just been.. busy, I guess. I'm sorry to make you feel that way."

"About that day in the backyard. I- um- probably shouldn't have tried to kiss you. It was too soon and I don't want to make you uncomfortable here and I really want you to be happy and I saw Noah kiss you after I left and I don't want you to be with him because I have grown feelings for you and I would love to be with you but I understand if you do-" I cut him off by putting my hand over his mouth.

"You're rambling, Alex." I smiled, taking my hand off of his face.

"Well, I just embarrassed the hell out of myself. So I'll let you talk now."

"Alex, I do care about you and I don't know if my feelings for you go any further. I don't know if they ever will, but you are a great friend, Alex, and I want you to stay my friend."

"Friend zone, ouch. I understand, Gabby, and I would be honored to be your friend." He smiled at me and pulled me in for a hug. I wrapped my arms around his waist for a minute before pulling away.

"It's late, so I'm going to go back in there and get some sleep. I'll see you later, Alex." He nodded, smiling. I turned and walked back into the theater closing the door softly behind me. Pressing my ear against the door, I heard voices on the other side.

"Noah, stop. She isn't an object. You can't claim her as if she is your property. Sure I was friend zoned, but that doesn't make her automatically yours." Alex's voice was muffled but clear enough to decipher.

"If she isn't now, then I will make her mine." Noah retorted.

"You can't have everything you want, Noah. It doesn't work that way. You think she's your property when in reality, it's her choice to be with you and I don't think she will with the way you've treated her since she got here." The sound of footsteps down the hallway ended the conversation. I went back to the chair I was sitting in and as soon as I sat down, I was out.

*~*~*~*~*

Jane and I were giggling out of control. We hid behind the second row of chairs waiting for Reese to wake up. "How bad do you think this will be?" Jane whispered to me. I giggled more, shaking my head.

A scream shook us from our giggles. We fell flat to the floor as Reese stood. The permanent marker on her face was a beautiful work of art, but what made her scream must have been the whipped cream and honey all over her. We were bored and she was still snoring away, so we decided to have some fun.

Reese moved nearer to our hiding spot. she spotted us laying on the floor and stalked toward us.

"Run!" Jane shouted, sprinting toward the door. I followed quickly, shutting the door behind me. I ran down the hallway, Jane going the opposite way, probably to distract Reese. I didn't know where I was going, but I knew it would be bad if Reese caught me. I was laughing uncontrollably as I ran down the halls. I spotted a door at the end of the hallway cracked open a little bit. I ran towards it. The pounding steps of Reese's feet were getting closer and my laughter got louder. I got to the door, pushing it open and shutting it as quickly as possible. I closed my eyes, leaning against the door.

"What are you doing in here?" My eyes shot open and looked to the source of the voice. Noah stood in the middle of the room.

In nothing but a towel. Sweet baby Jesus.