Chapter 10

"What do you mean you have nowhere else to go?" He asked me.

"Just forget it, Noah. Nothing you need to worry about." My anger had somewhat subsided when I said what I did. "I didn't mean to say that, just leave it alone." I sat on my bed looking at my hands.

"What did you mean, Gabriella? You can't say something like that and then say you didn't mean to." He sat next to me on the bed, facing me.

"Just go, Noah, it doesn't matter." I said.

"I don't get why you won't tell me. I've told you before that I can find out anything I want to and I will find out why you're here since you're so adamant on not telling me."

"Why does it even matter, Noah? What form of significance will it have on your life? None, that's what. So, just leave it alone."

"Fine." He said, heading for the door. He exited the room shutting the door.

He doesn't need to know. Nobody needs to know

*~*~*~*

Monday, I was in English waiting for Reese to come in. She was the only person I talked to in this class and if she isn't here, I'm screwed.

"Well, well, well. Hello, Gabriella." Noah said, sitting in the seat next to me.

"What are you doing in here, Noah?" Flipping through the textbook, I found the assignment we were supposed to do today.

"I'm in this class, Gabriella." he smirked as dread flowed through me. Of course he would somehow manage to get into one of my classes. He just wants to make me miserable.

"Do me a favor and don't talk to me. I have work to do."

"Gabriella, I'm hurt! Why would you ever not want me to talk to you?" He said, over exaggerating.

"Because, you're annoying and I really don't want to be annoyed." Times like these, I wish I had a phone with music on it.

"Tell me why you said what you did yesterday and I will leave you alone." He offered, smirking.

"As enticing as that deal sounds, I'm not telling you. It doesn't matter, just drop it. Please, Noah." He sighed, facing the front of the room.

*~*~*~*

"Lose, Gabby! Let me win one time!" Chase said, pouting as I won again.

"Hey, now, that's not playing fair. What kind of lesson would you learn if I let you win?"

"You would show what it feels like to win! And that would make me want to win more times!" He exclaimed, getting on his knees and giving me a puppy dog look.

I laughed at his cuteness, standing from the bean bag. "Come on, Chase, I think ten straight games are enough for today." I ruffled his hair, leading him out of the room.

"Oh, Gabby! I was just looking for you!" Diane's voice exclaimed from down the hall. Chase ran up to her, hugging her legs. "Go play with Logon, Chase, I want to speak with Gabby." He nodded, running down a hall. "Come with me, Gabby." She said, turning in the opposite direction Chase had run. We entered the kitchen, sitting on bar stools.

"I'm not in trouble, right?" I asked, sheepishly.

"Guilty conscience?" She teased. "No you're not in trouble, I just wanted to ask how you were doing, I haven't talked to you in a while." She smiled at me.

"I'm doing pretty well. Adjusting as much as I can, I guess." I have her a small smile.

"How are you, though? I know it's hard for you to start a completely new life after what you went through before coming here." She was concerned, I could tell.

"I just want to put it all behind me, you know? It wasn't something I was proud of and I don't want the past to haunt me." She nodded in understanding.

"I'm here for you, Gabby. You know that right?" She put her hand on my arm, smiling at me.

"Yes, I know, thank you Diane."

"No problem, sweetie." Diane is really sweet. "Now, tell me about school. Report cards came in a couple days ago. Let me tell you, it felt good to see such good grades on that card. It's been a while since I've seen such good grades. Good job, Gabby." I blushed at her compliment.

"Thank you, Diane. That's sweet." We spoke for a little while longer before she left to start cooking dinner.

I went to the backyard, the sun beginning to set. I always loved the sunset. Seeing the different colors morphing the sky into darkness. Then the stars come out and cover the dark sky with twinkling lights.

"You okay, Gabby?" I heard from behind me. I turned my head, spotting James walking up to me.

"Just thinking." I said, simply.

"What about?" He asked.

"Just the stars and the sunset. Normal, mushy, girl stuff." I teased to which he chuckled. "I've always loved the night sky. The way the pinks and oranges mix in perfect harmony. The way the stars just appear at night, nobody knowing why or how they do." Ever since I was little, I would stare at the stars at nighttime. I would look out of my window, trying to find as many constellations as I could. I had to have my mom help me, which made it our thing. I miss my mom. "It's a beautiful thing, the stars. They never leave, they will always be there."

"That's really deep, Gabby. Didn't know you had it in you." James teased. I laughed and nudged his shoulder with my elbow.

"Sorry to sound like some crazy girl, talking about the stars and all." James shook his head.

"It's nice to hear. All I normally hear about is how hot some chick is or what party is happening at the end of the week. It's refreshing to have a change." He said, smiling.

"Thanks, James. It's nice to have a friend who understands me." I joked, putting my hand to my forehead dramatically.

"No prob, Bob." He joked, making me laugh.

Sadness appeared when James told me he was going to paint. Being alone leaves room for thinking. I don't need to think. It's not good for me, of all people, to think.

*~*~*~*

I'd love some feedback y'all!! Here's another chapter!