Chapter 9

Jane and Reese left not long after we ate, promising to see me on Monday. I was currently sat in the backyard against an oak tree, reading Paper Towns by John Green. I wanted to read it before the movie, because the book is always better than the movie.

"What are you weading?" I heard a small voice say from next to me. I looked up and saw Chase sitting next to me, curiosity clear in his features.

"It's a grown up book, I don't think you would like it." I smiled at him.

"But why are you weading?" He asked, sitting closer to me.

"Because I like to read. It puts me in a different world."

"But earfth is the only world out there? That's what my teacher told me." He was so sure, too.

"I think she told you that this is the only world with people in it. There are probably many different worlds out there. We may never know." I felt eyes on me and looked up. Alex stood across the backyard, watching us.

"Can we play Xbox later? Mommy says after dinner I can play. Will you? Please, please, please?" He folded his hands together, pushing his bottom lip out in a pout.

"So you want to volunteer to be beat at Mario again?" He smiled, his two front teeth missing.

"I'll beat your butt Mario!" He exclaimed, running off.

"Where are you going?" I shouted after him.

"To pwactice!" He continued running toward the house, bumping against Alex's leg on the way. He smiled cheekily at Alex before continue his run to the house.

Alex approached me, sitting next to me against the tree. He smiled at me, grabbing my book.

"Why does he call her by her full name during the first, like, seven pages of the book?" I reached for the book but he put it out of my reach.

"Give it to me, Alex!" I was giggling as I reached for it again. He laughed as well. Standing, he started walking backwards with the book.

"Gotta catch me first." He said, backing away. I stood, running towards him. He ran away from me, nearly tripping over his feet.

"Come on, Alex! Just give it back!" I laughed, running faster. He looked back at me, a smile on his face. but he didn't see the tree branch in front of him. "Alex!" I shouted, running towards him. I squatted down beside him, concern on my face. "Are you okay?" He groaned a little.

"I.. I don't t-think so." He peeked through his eyelid a little, letting me know he was fine.

"Oh, you're a big boy. Walk it off, you'll be fine." I teased, standing.

Suddenly, his hand shot out grabbing my ankle. He pulled me down on top of him, rolling us over so he was on top. "What was that?" He smirked at me.

"Well, if you heard me the first time, I wouldn't have to repeat myself." I teased, a smile on my face. His hand moved to my side. "Don't, Alex. If you know what's good for you, you wouldn't dare." My eyes widening as his fingers started to wiggle around my sides. I squealed, laughter bursting past my lips.

"Say you're sorry!" He laughed with me, still tickling me.

"I don't need to!"

"Say it!" He repeated.

"Take it like a man, Alex!" I laughed. His hands seemed to speed up, still torturing me.

"Say you're sorry, Gabby!"

"Fine! Fine, ok, I'm sorry!" His hands stopped moving, letting me catch breath.

"Now, was that so hard?" He teased. I shoved him off of me, standing from the ground. I grabbed my book, huffed, and walking into the house. "Gabby, are you really upset?" He seemed worried. I kept walking, pretending to give him the silent treatment. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to make you mad."

"Now, was that so hard?" I teased, breaking my silence. I laughed at his expression, leaving him outside. I walked into the house, up to my room. I sat on my bed, opening my book.

A knock came at my door, startling me a little. I stood, walking to it. I opened the door to be greeted by Noah.

"What do you want, Noah?" I asked, irritated by his presence.

"Getting cuddly with Alex, I see?" I rolled my eyes.

"What does it matter to you, Noah? We both know how you feel about me." I grabbed my book and sat back on my bed.

"And how do I feel?" He asked, an unreadable expression on his face.

"You hate me, and I hate you. it's common knowledge. Hell, even the dog down the street knows." I said.

"I don't hate you, Gabriella." He said. "Hate is a strong word."

"And I have a strong feeling that you do hate me." I said. He stood in front of me wordlessly. "Why is it your soul purpose in life to make me miserable?"

"You make it easy for me." He shrugged, sitting on the end of my bed.

"So, you go from not hating me to agreeing that your soul purpose in life is to make me miserable? You should see someone, Noah, bipolar disorder is nothing to be ashamed of."

"Why are you such a pretentious bitch? You insult me every chance you get."

"You make it easy for me." I mocked, hoping he would get the hint to just leave.

"Why do you hate me?" He asked it like it wasn't the most obvious thing in the world.

"You really don't know?" I asked, incredulously. "You have everyone in school calling me a whore! Since the day you met me, all you've done is try to make me miserable! How do you not know why I don't like you?" I stood from the bed. He stood, too, standing in front of me. "What did I ever do to you?" I shouted at him, exasperated.

"I don't like it when people get in my way. You did and you were an easy target." He shrugged.

"You're so infuriating! I don't get why you endlessly torture me! I bump into you so you get the whole school to start calling me a whore! Then you have the audacity to come into my room and start acting like everything you've done to me is justified!" I could see the anger rising inside of him.

"Don't act like you didn't do anything!"

"Un-freakin-believable! I never did anything to you! I don't even want to be here and you've made it even more unbearable!"

"Then why are you here, Gabriella? Why are you in a place you don't want to be in!" He was shouting now.

"Because I have nowhere else to go!" I screamed. He stopped short, staring at me with wide eyes.

*~*~*~*

This book is getting off the ground and I'm so happy about it. Let me know what you think!! Update coming soon ;)