The Beginning of Summer Camp

"I..."

"What? Spit it out."

I looked at Ax's hesitant face with an expectant response. Summer vacation ended one week ago, and I was back in school and back in morning S Class advisory.

"I..."

I looked at him, getting kind of annoyed. Don't go 'I... I...' like a fucking idiot, just spit it out.

"I want to date you!" He spit out and ran back to his seat like a shy elementary school child. What? It took my brain a few minutes to process the situation. What? My expression was blank. What? My best friend just said what?

My eyes were akin to those of a dead fish, and I swear there are question marks above my head. I don't get it.

I walked back to Ax like a robot. "Ax, I don't get it. If you're making a joke, you got me...? But, in case you're not, I still can't date you."

"WHY?"

"Because I'm engaged."

The entire class looked at me like I was crazy. "Yes, yes. I know. I can't believe the news hasn't reached you guys yet, though. I mean, besides Aveline, you should be pretty aware of a political alliance between our kingdom and an empire." I sighed and held my forehead with my head, glaring at the others with scorn. Future leaders of the empire, not even up to date with the common news. Worthless scum, the lot of them.

"B-but, Alice, you can still date me even if you're engaged..." He told me in a small voice.

I frowned. Right, nobles have lovers and mistresses all the time. I thought. "No. I can't. Even though the boy I'm engaged to is a hothead, I don't like the idea of taking in a lover, it just goes against my beliefs." I sighed and continued.

"Well, anyway, it was just a joke, so no need to get caught up in it, right! Okay, the professor's here, I'm going back to my seat~" I winked and skipped back over to my seat. What was that joke anyway? Not really funny. I thought as I listened to Odyll's speech.

----

"Hey, do you guys want to stop by music class to watch my performance?" I asked while eating in the courtyard with Ax and Ciar.

Unlike before summer vacation, we decided to move to a less crowded place to eat. Although my purpose to come to the school in the first place was to socialize and form long lasting connections with other high ranking nobles and solidify my image, I really hated eating with one thousand eyes staring at me from all directions. Itw as unsettling, to say the least. Hence, the courtyard. People could still see me from afar, but it wouldn't be as creepy.

"Hahahahaha! HYou? Play music? It'll sound like nails on a chalkboard!" Ax laughed his assoff and rolle don the grass in a fit. I rolled my eyes and turned to Ciar.

"What about you, Lord Na?" I asked.

"Hmmmm... I hope to see your original pieces during my visit." He responded mysteriously. I just yawned and nodded.

"Yeah, sure, sure, whatever." I continued eating. Hahahaha! Ax, I can play the piano like you've never known. 'Nail's scratching on a chalkboard'? Try again. I'm the best pianist in the continent! I thought smugly.

----

I could see Ciar and Ax spectating from one of the seats on the far left of the theater. Ax looked at me and cringed, hoping to prepare himself for my so=called terrible performance later, while Ciar was making eye contact and winking flirtatiously.

"Lady Novea. Please play the piece handed to you. It is a piece by Narcham, and is renowned for the complexity of its structure. However, I am sure that you will be able to play it." The teacher gestured to the grand piano resting in the middle of the stage with spotlights shining on it brightly.

I grinned confidently and strutted forward. I sat down and began to read the notes. "Done, Teacher Nelson. I have prepared."

This exercise was a note-reading one. Try to get the tempo, note, volume, and so on right after looking at a new piece for the first time.

"Please, begin."

I began playing. Beautiful, thick tones weaved around me, like fine silk, and reverberated around the auditorium. My fingers moved swiftly around the keys, twisting and turning gracefully. A, g-sharp, f-sharp... I thought to myself as I continued.

At the end of the piece, I got a standing ovation from the rest of the class, as well as the teacher. "Brilliant, as usual, Lady Novea." I curtsied and returned to my seat.

I watched Ciar and Ax. Ax seemed to be in a state of shock, his mouth was wide open like a fly net and his eyes were blungling out; while Ciar looked strangely satisfied and sat back on his seat with a dazed smile on his face. Boys are weird. I thought as I watched the next student play.

----

"Ready... begin." The professor said, and swarms of students were released into the forest. I sat back and enjoyed the show as I watched people rummage through trees and bushes like wild animals.

Today, as well as the rest of the week, was a big day for many students. Today, they would be searching for their familiar. Find them, tame them, and get them to sign a contract. Many were excited and ecstatic they could find a creature to call their own, and some were annoyed that they had to rummage through the 'filthy' forest to find them.

As for me, I didn't care. I already had Lizzy, the best pet of them all. All she needed was a giant eel once in a while and a lot of cows, as well as an already created golden castle. Easy to manage, easy to play with, and fun. That was why, during the first week of camp, I was sitting back in the campsite reading a book on the practices of ancient nephrology, sitting in the artificially created summer breeze (by my own wind magic) in a nice gazebo in the woods (creation magic).

Well, that's what I was going to do if Odyll hadn't interrupted my nice time. "Lady Alice, I respect your decision, however it is mandatory to acquire a proper familiar by the end of today."

I sighed. "Professor, I already have a familiar. Her name is Liz." Odyll was long used to my antics and just shook his head.

"Please show me, then."

I frowned. Liz isn't going to like it if she has to go out often... if I reveal her as my familiar, I'll have to bring her to all sorts of places... "Fine. I'll do it, then."

"Thank you, Lady." I sighed and took a stick from the ground and started drawing a magic circle on the dirt half-hazardly. I don't want to go into the woods today. I'll just use my summoning attribute to get a phoenix like Mr. Hothead or something.

When I finished, I started chanting. [ମୋର ରକ୍ତ, ସୂର୍ଯ୍ୟ ପରି ଶକ୍ତିଶାଳୀ | ମୋର ପାପ, ପର୍ବତ ପରି ମହାନ | ମୋତେ ହାଲୁକା ଆଲୋକିତ କର, ମୋର ଭୁଲକୁ ପାଉଁଶରେ ପୋଡି ଦିଅ, ପ୍ରଭୁଙ୍କ ନାମରେ, ମୁଁ ଫୋନିକ୍ସକୁ ଡାକେ] A bright pillar of red shone from the circle, and soon, silver flames started to envelop the pillar and devoured it. A blinding light flashed through the forest and soon, in front of me, on the circle, was a large silver phoenix. Oh, so if I summon it, it automatically becomes my familiar? Convenient.

"I'm done, Professor, so can I read now?"